President's Colours to the Assam Police
⇒ The Union Minister for Home and Cooperation, Shri Amit Shah presented the President’s Colours to the Assam Police for their exemplary services in Guwahati on 10 May 2022.
- Assam Police have become the 10th state police force in the country and the second in the northeast after Tripura to receive the prestigious President’s Colours award.
In his address, the Union Home and Cooperation Minister said:
- Receiving the President’s Colours is an extraordinary achievement for any police organization.
- There will hardly be any force in the country that has faced such difficult situations, Assam Police also has the distinction of giving genesis to the country’s oldest anti-militant force, the Assam Rifles.
- President’s Colour is a special flag which is given to a military, paramilitary or police unit as a mark of recognition for its services. A replica of the flag presented to the unit can be worn as an insignia by all officers and ranks of the force on their uniform.
- The President’s Colour is the highest honour given to any military or police unit in recognition of exceptional service rendered to the nation, both in peace and war.
- Uttar Pradesh Police was the first state police force to receive the award from the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in 1952.
- Former president Dr Rajendra Prasad presented the award to Delhi Police in 1954.
- Maharashtra Police in 1961, Jammu & Kashmir Police in 2003, Tamil Nadu Police in 2009, Tripura Police in 2012 and Gujarat Police in 2019, Himachal Pradesh Police in 2021, and Haryana Police in 2022 received the award.
Book titled ‘Good Innings: The Extraordinary, Ordinary Life of Lily Tharoor’
⇒ A book titled ‘Good Innings: The Extraordinary, Ordinary Life of Lily Tharoor’ authored by Shobha Tharoor Srinivasan was published by Penguin Viking in May 2022.
- Shobha Tharoor-Srinivasan’s latest book encapsulates a unique tribute to her mother.
Experience Studio on Drones at NITI Aayog
⇒ Union Minister of Civil Aviation Jyotiraditya Scindia launched an experience studio on drones at NITI Aayog on 10 May 2022.
- The experience studio has been launched to promote a collaborative ecosystem aimed at fostering innovation and adoption of drones for public services.
During the event, NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant said:
- ‘Through the experience studio, start-ups and enterprises will be able to showcase their innovations and next-gen technology-enabled solutions.
- It will allow various government departments to experience these technologies first-hand and think about how they can be contextually used on the ground in public services.
- Additionally, the experience studio will also act as an anchor for initiating proof-of-concepts and pilots aimed at solving issues that persists in service deliveries.
- Smaller focused cohorts will be created through the experience studio, which will eventually help in mainstreaming these solutions once they are field-ready.’
Atal Innovation Mission- PRIME Playbook & Start-up showcase
⇒ Dr Bharati Pravin Pawar, Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare launched Atal Innovation Mission- PRIME Playbook & Start-up showcase at Dr Ambedkar International Centre, New Delhi, on 10 May 2022.
The nationwide AIM-PRIME program, an initiative of Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog, that is being implemented by Venture Center, Pune and is supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Office of Principal Scientific Advisor.
AIM PRIME (Program for Researchers in Innovation, Market Readiness and Entrepreneurship) program will serve an important purpose of creating strong indigenous manufacturing capabilities in all critical sectors.
The AIM PRIME program was aimed at promoting early-stage science-based, deep technology ideas to market through training and guidance over a period of 12 months using a blended learning curriculum.
Other program benefits include the PRIME Playbook, a guide for science-based entrepreneurs and ventures, the PRIME Library, a curated resource shared by the faculty and expert mentors associated with the program. The PRIME Videos is an open-access video collection of the lectures delivered as part of the PRIME Classroom.
1st Chessable Sunway Formentera Open 2022 chess tournament
⇒ Indian Grandmaster D Gukesh has emerged champion in the 1st Chessable Sunway Formentera Open 2022 chess tournament on 08 May 2022 in Punta Prima.
It was a hat-trick of titles for him after he had previously won the La Roda tournament and the Menorca Open in recent weeks.
The 15-year-old Gukesh (Elo 2637) settled for a draw with Armenian GM Haik M Martirosyan in the final round to win the title with eight points. He had defeated compatriot and second-seed K Sasikiran in the ninth and penultimate round. He has now moved up to no.64 in the world rankings.
World Thalassemia Day 2022
⇒ World Thalassemia Day is observed every year on 8 May.
World Thalassemia Day aims to create awareness about the ailment and support patients, their families and health care workers with information to combat it.
The theme for World Thalassemia Day 2022 was, “Be Aware. Share. Care: Working with the global community as one to improve Thalassemia knowledge.”
- World Thalassemia Day came into existence in 1994 after the Thalassemia International Federation (TIF) designated May 8 as International Thalassemia Day.
- The event was first organized by the Thalassemia International Federation in 1994, in memory of George Englezos, the son of TIF founder Panos Englezos.
- Thalassemia is a blood disorder inherited by children from their parents. In this disease, the ability of an individual’s body to produce hemoglobin and the red blood cells is affected severely.
- Two types of thalassemia, alpha and beta occur, with Thalassemia Minor, Thalassemia Intermedia and Thalassemia Major being sub-categories.