Khelo India Youth Games 2021 was held from 4 June to 13 June, 2022 in Haryana. It was the fourth edition of the Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG).
The Union Home Minister, Shri Amit Shah inaugurated the SBI Khelo India Youth Games 2021 during a high-octane Opening Ceremony at Panchkula, Haryana on 04 June 2022.
- Khelo India Youth Games is the biggest nationwide grassroots level sports competition in India, started by the Central Government in 2018.
About Khelo India Youth Games 2021:
- ‘Jaya’ the black buck and ‘Vijay’ the tiger were the mascots for Khelo India Youth Games.
- The name of the Mascot for Haryana for Khelo India Youth Games-21 was ‘Dhakad’ the Bull.
The Khelo India Youth Games was jointly organized by the Haryana State Government and Sports Authority of India (SAI), Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
Khelo India Youth Games got sponsor for the first time. State Bank of India (SBI) was the Title Sponsor and Punjab National Bank (PNB) was the Associate Sponsor.
- Overall, as many as 4,700 athletes, including 2,262 girls, were participated in 25 sports for 269 gold, 273 silver and 361 bronze medals from the games.
- Unlike the previous editions, where the Khelo India Youth Games players from two age groups were included, while this time only U-18 players competed for the honours.
- The games featured a total of 25 sports, which included 5 new indigenous games of India – Kalaripayattu, Thang-Ta, Gatka, Mallakhamba and Yogasana.
- 37 States and Union Territories of India participated in KIYG 2021.
- Haryana was the host State of Khelo India Youth Games. It was organized in 5 cities Panchkula, Shahbad, Ambala, Chandigarh and Delhi.
- Hosts Haryana had fielded a 398-member contingent, the largest at KIYG 2021. Meanwhile, two-time KIYG champion Maharashtra sent a 357-member contingent to Haryana.
Khelo India Youth Games 2021 Results:
» Hosts Haryana won the Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG) 2021 title. Haryana won the KIYG title for the second time. Haryana won the inaugural Khelo India School Games in 2018.
Top Three Winners:
- Haryana topped the table with a total of 137 medals including 52 gold, 39 silver and 46 bronze medals.
- Maharashtra stood second with 125 medals including 45 gold, 40 silver and 40 bronze medals and Karnataka third with 67 medals including 22 gold, 17 silver and 28 bronze medals.
» Among the Union Territories, Delhi topped the list with overall rank of 6th. Delhi won a total of 79 medals including 15 Gold, 15 Silver, 49 Bronze.
» Bihar won a total of 2 medals including 1 Gold in Weightlifting and 1 Bronze in Wrestling.
» Sikkim, Nagaland and Lakshadweep were the only participants to not win a single medal.
» The Khelo India Youth Games 2021 concluded on 13 June 2022 at Indradhanush Stadium, Haryana.