ISRO communication satellite CMS-01:
- The Indian Space Research Organisation on December 17, 2020 launched communication satellite CMS-01 onboard the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C50) from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. This was the country’s 42nd communication satellite.
This communication satellite would replace the GSAT-12 in the orbit, which was launched in 2011.
The satellite is envisaged to provide services in the Extended-C Band of the frequency spectrum. Its coverage will include the Indian mainland, Andaman-Nicobar and Lakshadweep Islands.
CII Big Picture Summit:
- CII Big Picture Summit was held from 16 December to 18 December, 2020 over Digital Platform. This summit was organized by CII.
In the summit content creators, broadcasters, buyers, studios, production companies, publishers, distributors, and developers across the gamut of the Media & Entertainment were participated.
Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Shri Prakash Javadekar addressed the CII Big Picture Summit on December 16.
He announced that Government is forming a Center of Excellence in cooperation with Indian Institute of Bombay where courses in Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming and Comic (AVGC) will be provided. He also announced that India will host a Global Media and Film Summit in 2021.
North Eastern Region Power System Improvement Project:
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the Revised Cost Estimate (RCE) of North Eastern Region Power System Improvement Project (NERPSIP). Its estimated cost will be Rs 6,700 crore.
The scheme is being implemented through Power Grid under the Ministry of Power, in the association with six beneficiary North Eastern States (Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, and Tripura). The scheme is targeted to be commissioned by December 2021.
India – Bangladesh Summit:
- Prime Minister of India and Sheikh Hasina, Prime Minister of Bangladesh held a Summit in virtual format on 17 December 2020. Both sides held comprehensive discussions on all aspects of bilateral relations, and exchanged views on regional and international issues.
On this occasion, the following MoUs were signed and exchanged by India & Bangladesh:
- Framework of Understanding (FOU) on Cooperation in Hydrocarbon Sector;
- Protocol on Trans-boundary Elephant Conservation;
- MOU regarding Indian Grant Assistance for Implementation of High Impact Community Development Projects (HICDPs) through Local Bodies and other Public Sector Institutions;
- MOU on Supply of Equipment and Improvement of Garbage / Solid Waste Disposal Ground at Lamchori Area for Barishal City Corporation;
- Terms of Reference of India-Bangladesh CEOs Forum;
- MoU between Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Memorial Museum, Dhaka, Bangladesh and the National Museum, New Delhi, India;
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Agriculture;
During the summit, two bilateral development partnership projects were also inaugurated:
- Beautification and city development project in Rajshahi City;
- Construction of Khalishpur Collegiate Girl’s School in Khulna;
Chief Guest at Republic Day:
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has accepted India’s invitation to be the chief guest at Republic Day on January 26. He will be the second UK prime minister to attend the event after John Major in 1993.