7th edition of India International Science festival (IISF- 2021)
⇒ Union Minister of State (I/C) Science & Technology; Minister of State (I/C) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the seventh edition of India International Science festival (IISF- 2021) at Panaji, Goa.
Speaking at the event, he emphasised “Sustainable” Start-Ups and said that sustainability in Start-ups linked with livelihood opportunities is the key to future economy of India.
IISF 2021 was organized jointly by the MoES, Department of Science and Technology, Department of Biotechnology, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, in collaboration with Vijnana Bharati.
- IISF 2021 was held in the western region of the country at Panaji from December 10 to 13, 2021.
The theme of 4-day IISF 2021 is ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ – “Celebrating Creativity in Science, Technology and Innovation for prosperous India”.
IISF 2021 Events:
Science Film Festival, Science Literature Festival, Engineering Students Festival, Science Village Festival, Traditional Crafts and Artisans Festival, Guinness Book of World Records, Festival of Games and Toys, Global Indian Scientists and Technocrats Meet, Eco-Festival, New Age Technology Show, National Social Organizations and Institutions Meet, Mega Science Technology and Industry Expo.
- IISF is an annual event considered to be the biggest platform in the country which brings together students, the public, researchers, innovators and artists from around the globe.
- The main purpose of IISF is to celebrate science along with people in India and across the globe.
- India International Science festival (IISF) is a joint program of Ministry of Science & Technology, Ministry of Earth Sciences and Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) a swadeshi movement of Bharat.
- The first program of IISF was held in year 2015.
7th Dr MS Swaminathan Award for 2017-2019
⇒ The prestigious 7th Dr MS Swaminathan Award for the period 2017-2019 was awarded to Dr V Praveen Rao, the Vice Chancellor of Professor Jayashankar Telangana State Agricultural University.
This biennial national award has been jointly constituted by Retired ICAR Employees Association (RICAREA) and Nuziveedu Seeds Limited (NSL).
- It carries a cash prize of Rs 2 Lakhs, a Gold Medal and a citation.
The selection committee selected V Praveen Rao for the award in recognition of his contribution in the field of ‘Agricultural Research, Teaching, Extension and Administration’. Dr Praveen Rao has handled 13 research and 6 consultancy projects of micro irrigation in India, Israel and South Africa.
First MS Swaminathan award:
The first MS Swaminathan award for the biennium 2004-2005 was presented to the leading Poultry Scientist Dr Genda Lal Jain.
President of The Institute of Cost Accountants of India
⇒ CMA P. Raju Iyer from Chennai has been elected President of The Institute of Cost Accountants of India for the period 2021-2022.
The Institute of Cost and Management Accountants of India (ICMAI) is a Statutory Body under an Act of Parliament and is headquartered in Kolkata. It is under the ownership of Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India.
Observer Status to ISA
⇒ United Nations grants Observer status to International Solar Alliance.
This is going to give impetus to “One Sun One world one grid “. This will help in bringing equitable energy solutions to the world.
- Based on the report of the Sixth Committee, the United Nations General Assembly adopted resolution 76/123 to grant observer status to the International Solar Alliance.
The launch of the ISA was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and former French President Francois Hollande in November 2015, at the 21st session of the UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties in Paris, France.
Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabia Grand Prix 2021
⇒ The 2021 Saudi Arabia Grand Prix Formula 1 Race took place on 5 December 2021 over 50 laps of the brand-new Jeddah Corniche Circuit.
Mercedes Driver, Lewis Hamilton won 2021 Saudi Arabia Grand Prix.
World Soil Day 2021
⇒ World Soil Day (WSD) is celebrated every year on 5 December.
World Soil Day is held as a means to focus attention on the importance of healthy soil and to advocate for the sustainable management of soil resources.
World Soil Day 2021 (#WorldSoilDay) and its campaign “Halt soil salinization, boost soil productivity” aims to raise awareness of the importance of maintaining healthy ecosystems and human well-being by addressing the growing challenges in soil management, fighting soil salinization, increasing soil awareness and encouraging societies to improve soil health.
- The FAO Conference unanimously endorsed World Soil Day in June 2013 and requested its official adoption at the 68th UN General Assembly.
- In December 2013, the UN General Assembly designated 5 December 2014 as the first official World Soil Day.