9th Governing Body meeting of NFDB
⇒ National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) conducted its 9th Governing Body meeting at Lecture Hall, NASC Complex, New Delhi on 18 August 2022.
- Shri Parshottam Rupala, Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying chaired the Governing Body meeting.
Shri Parshottam Rupala released a book on “Super Success Stories from Indian Fisheries” published by NFDB commemorating 75th Independence Day- Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations.
- It is an outreach activity with a focus to disseminate the technologies, innovative ideas practiced by the small-scale farming sector and to expand the promotion of initiatives to larger population, successful fisheries and aquaculture practices across the country.
An online market place feature “Aqua Bazar” app developed by ICAR-CIFA with the funding support of NFDB under PMMSY was also launched during the meeting.
- The app will help the fish farmers and stakeholders to source the inputs such as fish seed, feed, medicines etc. and services required for fish culture as well as farmers can list the table size fish for sale.
- It is a market place which connects various stakeholders involved in aquaculture sector.
- National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) was established in the year 2006 by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare with its headquarters at Hyderabad.
- It was established to realize the untapped potential of fisheries sector in inland and marine, fish culture, capture, processing & marketing of fish, and accelerate the overall growth of fisheries sector with the application of modern tools of research & development.
- NFDB is headed by the Chief Executive.
- The Board is constituted with two levels of Committees, the Governing Body & Executive Committee for having a guidance on the administrative matters, activities of Board and any new amendments/rules that shall occur in the Board.
- The Governing Body meeting is held once in a year and Executive Committee meeting are held on quarterly basis.
First ‘Har Ghar Jal’ Certified State and UT in India
⇒ Goa and Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu (D&NH and D&D) became the first ‘Har Ghar Jal’ certified State and UT respectively in India.
- Where people from all the villages have declared their village as ‘Har Ghar Jal’ through a resolution passed by Gram Sabha, certifying that all households in the villages have access to safe drinking water through taps, ensuring that ‘No One is Left Out’.
» All 2.63 lakh rural households of Goa & 85,156 of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu have access to potable water through tap connection.
About Jal Jeevan Mission:
- Jal Jeevan Mission is a flagship programme of Government of India which was announced from the ramparts of Red Fort by visionary Prime Minister on August 15, 2019.
- The mission aims to make provision of potable tap water supply in adequate quantity, of prescribed quality and on regular & long-term basis to every rural household of the country by 2024.
- The program is implemented by Government of India in partnership with States/UTs.
Ashok Leyland Electric Double Decker Bus named Switch EiV 22
⇒ Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shri Nitin Gadkari launched Ashok Leyland Electric Double Decker Bus named Switch EiV 22 in Mumbai on August 18, 2022.
» Launching the electric bus, Union Transport Minister Shri Nitin Gadkari said, There is a need to transform the country’s transport system, looking from a long-term perspective.
- With a focus on reforming urban transport, we are trying to build a low carbon footprint and high passenger density integrated Electric Vehicle (EV) mobility ecosystem.
- With growing consumer demand for greener transport solutions, the Government’s vision and policies aim to encourage higher adoption of electric vehicles.
About Switch EiV (according to Ashok Leyland):
- The Switch electric double decker can ferry nearly twice the number of seated passengers as compared to a single-decker bus, with just 18% increase in kerb weight (without the passengers).
- Switch EiV 22 is India’s first and unique electric double decker air-conditioned bus, which has been designed, developed and manufactured in India.
- Switch EiV 22 is equipped with the latest technology, ultra-modern design, highest safety and best-in-class comfort features.
Vietnam-India Bilateral Army Exercise Vinbax 2022
⇒ The 3rd Edition of Vietnam India Bilateral Army Exercise “Ex VINBAX 2022” had commenced at Chandimandir on 01 August 2022.
The theme of Ex VINBAX 2022 was employment and deployment of an Engineer Company and a Medical Team as part of United Nations Contingent for Peace Keeping Operations.
The exercise was a sequel to previously conducted bilateral exercise in Vietnam in 2019 and a major milestone in strengthening the bilateral relations between India and Vietnam.
- Indian Army was represented by troops from the 105 Engineer Regiment.
» What made the exercise unique was the fact that it was the first time ever that the Vietnam People’s Army (VPA) was undertaking a Field Training Exercise with any foreign Army. The fact that Vietnam chose India for this honour, speaks volumes about the value the two countries place on their mutual relationship.
Exercise VINBAX 2022 concluded on 18 August 2022 with an impressive display of Multi Agency Humanitarian Assistance in Disaster Relief (HADR) demonstration and an equipment display showcasing the Make in India and Atmanirbhar Bharat initiatives.
- Over a period of three weeks, the soldiers of the two Armies rubbed shoulders with each other learning from each other and sharing best practices.
- The conduct of Ex VINBAX – 2022 as a field training exercise with enhanced scope from previous editions of bilateral exercise strengthened mutual confidence, inter-operability and enable sharing of best practices between the Indian Army and Vietnam People’s Army.
- The joint exercise also provided an opportunity to the troops of both the Contingents to learn about the social and cultural heritage of each other.
- Vietnam has deployed a contingent in UN peacekeeping operations for the first time in South Sudan while India has a long and rich tradition of contributing to UN peacekeeping operations.
- The contingents from the two countries underwent theory classes followed by practical exercises to validate the learning.
- The final validation exercise nicknamed ‘Men in Blue’ was built around the setting up of a base in a remote African location faced with myriad challenges.
» The next edition of VINBAX will be hosted in Vietnam in 2023.
2022 Durand Cup
⇒ The 2022 Durand Cup, oldest football tournament in Asia, was held from 16 August to 18 September, 2022.
This was the 131st edition of the tournament. It was the first edition since it got recognized by Asian Football Confederation. Read More