Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration 2020
⇒ Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) flagship Regional Connectivity Scheme UDAN (UdeDeshkaAamNagrik) has been conferred with the Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration 2020 under the category “Innovation (General) – Central”.
- Government of India has initiated this award to acknowledge, recognize and reward extraordinary and innovative work done by Districts and Organizations of State/Government.
- This scheme emphasises on Good Governance, Qualitative achievements, and last mile connectivity rather than only on achievement of quantitative targets.
- The award consists of a trophy, scroll and an incentive of Rs 10 lakhs.
About UDAN Scheme:
- Launched in 2016, UDAN scheme aims to fulfil the aspirations of the common man by following the vision of UdeDeshkaAamNagrik, with an enhanced aviation infrastructure and air connectivity in tier II and III cities.
- In a short span of 5 years, today 415 UDAN routes connect 66 underserved/unserved airports, including heliports and water aerodromes, and over 92 lakh people have benefited from it.
- More than 1 lakh 79 thousand flights have flown under this scheme.
- UDAN scheme has immensely benefitted several sectors pan-India including Hilly States, North-Eastern region, and Islands.
Statue of Hanuman ji in Morbi
⇒ On the occasion of Hanuman Jayanti, The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi unveiled a 108 ft statue of Hanuman ji in Morbi, Gujarat on 16 April 2022.
The Prime Minister said that the project of establishing four such statues in the four corners of the country is a reflection of the resolve of ‘Ek Bharat Shresth Bharat’.
- This statue is the second of the 4 statues being set up in the four directions across the country, as part of #Hanumanji4dham project.
- It has been set up in the west, at the Ashram of Param Pujya Bapu Keshvanand ji in Morbi.
- The first statue of the series was set up in the north in Shimla in 2010. Work on the statue in the south at Rameswaram has been started.
20th edition of India-France Joint Staff talks
⇒ The 20th edition of India-France Joint Staff talks was held in Paris, France on April 12-13, 2022.
The discussions focused on new initiatives under the ambit of existing bilateral defence cooperation mechanism and strengthening ongoing defence engagements.
About India-France Joint Staff talks:
The India-France Joint Staff talks is a forum established to enhance defence cooperation between both the nations through regular talks at the strategic and operational levels.
Singapore International Water Week 2022
⇒ Director General, National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) Shri G. Asok Kumar participated virtually in Singapore International Water Week, Water Convention 2022.
He gave a presentation on ‘Status of Wastewater Generation, Treatment and Management in India: Success Through NMCG Initiatives.’
- Singapore International Water Week 2022 was held from 17 April to 21 April 2022.
- The Singapore International Water Week (SIWW) is a global premier platform to share and co-create innovative water solutions.
- The biennial event gathers stakeholders from the global water industry to share best practices, showcase the latest technologies and tap business opportunities.
- SIWW is part of the strategic programme of the Singapore Government to grow the water industry and develop water technologies.
Khelo India University Games 2021
⇒ The Khelo India University Games 2021 was held in Bengaluru from 24 April to 3 May, 2022. It was the second edition of the Khelo India University games.
Jain Deemed-to-be University, Karnataka hosted the Khelo India University Games 2021. The competition was organized by the Government of Karnataka, along with the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India.
The Governor of Karnataka, Shri TC Gehlot, Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Anurag Singh Thakur and several dignitaries launched the logo, jersey, mascot and anthem of the Khelo India University Games 2021 at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium in Bengaluru on 01 April 2022.
- The mascot of Khelo India University Games 2021 was an elephant, named ‘Veera’.
- The logo features the iconic Vidhana Soudha building – the Legislative House in Bengaluru – with two elephants on either side.
- A Khelo India App for live updates on the Games was also launched by Karnataka, the host state on the occasion.
In KIUG 2021, the indigenous sports Yogasana and Mallakhamb were introduced for the first time in the competition category, among 20 sporting disciplines.
- Jain Deemed-to-be University won the Khelo India University Games 2021 title with 20 gold medals and stood first. They also won 7 silvers and 5 bronze, taking their overall medal tally to 32.
- Lovely Professional University won 17 Gold, 15 Silver and 19 Bronze and stood second. Lovely Professional University ended up with the most medals (51).
- Defending champions Panjab University finished third with 15 gold, 9 silver, and 24 bronze.
» A total of 142 universities won a medal at the KIUG 2021, from which 71 won at least one gold.
» As many as 259 gold medals, 258 silvers and 335 bronze medals were awarded at KIUG 2021.