Book ‘Gandhitopi Governor’
⇒ The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu released the book ‘Gandhitopi Governor’ authored by the Chairman, Official Language Commission, Andhra Pradesh, Shri Yarlagadda Lakshmi Prasad at Upa Rashtrapati Nivas on 15 December 2021.
Former Governor of Tamil Nadu, Shri P.S Rammohan Rao, author of the book, Shri Yarlagadda Lakshmi Prasad, CEO of Emesco Books (publisher of book), Shri Vijay Kumar and others were present during the event.
The book chronicles the life of Shri Edpuganti Raghavendra Rao, prominent freedom fighter, legislator and Governor of Central Provinces in the British administration.
Implementation of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana for 2021-26
⇒ The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved implementation of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) for 2021-26 with an outlay of Rs.93,068 crore on 15 December 2021.
» The CCEA has approved central support of Rs.37,454 crore to States and Rs.20,434.56 crore of debt servicing for loan availed by Government of India for irrigation development during PMKSY 2016-21.
» Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP), Har Khet ko Paani (HKKP) and Watershed Development components have been approved for continuation during 2021-26. Total additional irrigation potential creation targeted during 2021-26 under AIBP is 13.88 lakh hectare.
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme – a flagship programme of Government of India aims for financial support to irrigation projects.
- Har Khet Ko Pani (HKKP) aims for enhancement of physical access on the farm and expansion of cultivable area under assured irrigation.
- Watershed Development component focuses on development of rainfed areas towards soil and water conservation, regeneration of ground water, arresting runoff and promoting extension activities related to water harvesting and management.
Cabinet approves Programme for Development of Semiconductors and Display Manufacturing Ecosystem
⇒ The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the comprehensive program for the development of sustainable semiconductor and display ecosystem in the country in December 2021.
- Semiconductors and displays are the foundation of modern electronics driving the next phase of digital transformation under Industry 4.0.
» In total, Government of India has committed support of Rs.2,30,000 crore (USD 30 billion) to position India as global hub for electronics manufacturing with semiconductors as the foundational building block.
» The Government of India has approved Rs.76000 crore (>10 billion USD) for development of semiconductors and display manufacturing ecosystem in India.
Treaty on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters between India and Poland
⇒ The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the Treaty on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters between the Government of India and the Republic of Poland in December 2021.
The Treaty aims to enhance capability and effectiveness of both the countries in investigation and prosecution of crime, through cooperation and mutual legal assistance in criminal matters. It will increase effectiveness of India in tackling criminal activities involving Poland.
‘Durga Puja in Kolkata’ on the Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
⇒ UNESCO has inscribed ‘Durga Puja in Kolkata’ on the Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
The Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage inscribed ‘Durga Puja in Kolkata’ on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity during its 16th session on 15 December 2021.
- UNESCO’s 16th session was held at Paris, France from 13th to 18th December 2021.
- As a ten-day celebration, Durga Puja represents the collective worship of the Hindu Goddess Durga.
- 14 Intangible Cultural Heritage elements from India have now been inscribed on UNESCO’s Representative List.
- The Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity currently has 492 elements.
The 2003 UNESCO Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage promotes the protection of knowledge and skills necessary for traditional artisanship and cultural practices transmitted from generation to generation.
National Energy Conservation Day 2021
⇒ National Energy Conservation Day is celebrated on 14th December every year in India.
Ministry of Power celebrated the National Energy Conservation Day at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav on 14 December 2021.
Energy Conservation Week:
The Ministry of Power also celebrated Energy Conservation Week under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav from 8th to 14th December 2021. As part of celebrations, Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) under the Ministry of Power has organized various programs.
On this occasion Shri RK Singh Union Minister of Power and MNRE presented 31st National Energy Conservation Awards (NECA), 1st National Energy Efficiency Innovation Awards (NEEIA) and prizes to the winners of National Level Painting Competition on Energy Conservation.
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency, under the guidance of Ministry of Power, recognizes and encourages endeavors of industrial units, institutions and establishments in reducing energy consumption by felicitating them with National Energy Conservation Awards (NECA) on the occasion of National Energy Conservation Day.
- A new award – the National Energy Efficiency Innovation Awards (NEEIA) was also institutionalized in the year 2021.
- The awards were given away for the first time on December 14, 1991.