India's First "Amrit Sarovar"
⇒ The country’s first “Amrit Sarovar” was inaugurated by Union Minister for Minority Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Uttar Pradesh Jal Shakti Minister Shri Swatantra Dev Singh at Patwai, Rampur, Uttar Pradesh on 13 May 2022.
- “Amrit Sarovar” has been constructed under the inspiration of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and guidance of Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Shri Yogi Adityanath.
Ministries/Department & Technical Partner:
This Mission has been launched with a whole of Government Approach in which includes 6 Ministries/Department, namely:
Dept of Rural Development, Department of land resources, Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Department of Water resources, Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Ministry of Forest, Environment and Climate changes
- Also, Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Application and Geo-informatics (BISAG-N) has been engaged as Technical Partner for the Mission.
About Mission on Amrit Sarovar:
- With a view to conserve water for the future, the Prime Minister launched a new Mission on Amrit Sarovar on 24th April 2022.
- The Mission is aimed at developing and rejuvenating 75 water bodies in each district of the country as a part of celebration of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The Mission Amrit Sarovar is to be completed by 15th August 2023.
- Around 50,000 such Amrit Sarovar may be constructed in the country.
- Each of these Amrit Sarovar will have approx area of 1 acre with a water holding capacity of 10,000 cubic meter.
- So far, 12,241 sites are finalised for construction of Amrit Sarovarsby States/Districts, out of which works has started on 4,856Amrit Sarovars.
- The Mission works through the States and Districts, through refocusing of various schemes such as Mahatma Gandhi NREGS, XV Finance Commission Grants, PMKSY sub schemes such as Watershed Development Component, Har Khet Ko Pani besides States’ own schemes.
“GatiShakti Sanchar” portal for Centralised Right of Way (RoW) approvals
⇒ In line with the PM GatiShakti National Master Plan, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw, Union Minister for Communications, Electronics & IT and Railways, has launched the “GatiShakti Sanchar” portal for Centralised Right of Way (RoW) approvals on May 14, 2022.
The portal, has been developed by MP state Electronics Development Corporation on behalf of Department of Telecommunication (DoT).
» The portal has been developed keeping in view the vision areas of the National Broadband Mission.
- The National Broadband Mission (NBM) was set up by the Department of Telecommunication (DoT) on December 17, 2019. It aims to facilitate universal and equitable access to broadband services across the country, especially in rural and remote areas.
- To fulfil this vision, it is imperative that a backbone of infrastructure is created by facilitating smooth and efficient deployment of Digital Communications Infrastructure across the country. To ensure that, DoT launched the “GatiShakti Sanchar” portal.
- This will provide a robust mechanism to achieve the goal of “Broadband for All” as envisaged in the National Digital Communication Policy-2.
» The portal will enable applicants form various Telecom Service providers as well as Infrastructure providers to apply at a common single portal for Right of Way permissions to lay down Optical Fibre Cable and for erecting mobile towers to State/UT Governments and local bodies.
UAE's new President
⇒ His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler of Abu Dhabi, has been elected as the new President of the UAE on May 14, 2022.
The decision was made by the Federal Supreme Council, which comprises the Rulers of each emirate. The Council meeting was chaired by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates, at the Mushrif Palace.
Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed the former Crown Prince of the UAE federation has become the third president in the country’s history following the death of Sheikh Khalifa on May 13, 2022. Sheikh Mohamed became the 17th Ruler of Abu Dhabi.
1st Incredible India International Cruise Conference 2022
⇒ The Union Minister for Ports, Shipping & Waterways Shri Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated the 1st Incredible India International Cruise Conference 2022 in Mumbai on 14 May 2022.
The 1st Incredible India International Cruise Conference was jointly organized by the Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways, Government of India and FICCI on 14-15 May 2022.
Discussion & Participation:
- Strategies for developing India as a cruise hub, policy initiatives and port infrastructure, potential of river cruise tourism, role of technology in the post-pandemic world were some of the key issues deliberated at the two-day event.
- More than 300 delegates representing stakeholders including international and Indian cruiseline operators, investors, industry experts and consultants, senior officials of centre and state governments, ports, maritime boards and tourism boards attended the conference.
Mumbai Port Authority’s 3rd Chemical Berth at Pir Pau:
» At the inaugural session, Union Minister Shri Sonowal and Shri Naik laid the foundation stone for the third Chemical Berth at Pir Pau Jetty of Mumbai Port Authority to handle chemicals including LPG.
- The berth will have a rated capacity of 2 mtpa and cater to very large gas carriers and tankers up to 72,500 displacement tonnage.
Kelshi Lighthouse in Ratnagiri district:
» Kelshi Lighthouse in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra was also remotely inaugurated at the conference.
- The new light house bridges the 85 km gap between Nanwell Point Lighthouse in Raigad District and Tolkeshwar Lighthouse in Ratnagiri District.
» The Union Minister of Tourism, Culture and the Development of the Northeastern Region Shri G Kishan Reddy also addressed the participants on May 15th about the various tourism related themes and discussions that included Potential of River Cruising and Cruise Tourism: Success Stories and Destination Development.
8 MoUs were signed on the 2nd Day of Incredible India International Cruise Conference:
- Mumbai Port and Angriya Sea Eagle Ltd for home porting their cruise ship in Mumbai for the upcoming cruising season.
- Mumbai Port and Waterways Leisure Tourism P. Ltd for home porting their cruise ship in Chennai for the upcoming cruising season.
- Mumbai Port and Training Ship Rahaman for being an existing service provider in the field of Maritime Training for Cruise Vessels, it will endeavour to recruit Indian seafarers to support Indian Maritime Vision 2030.
- Mumbai Port and The Apollo Group USA for being an existing service provider to cruise operator in India, with approximately 600 seafarers.
- Chennai Port and Waterways Leisure Tourism P. Ltd. for home porting their cruise ship in Chennai for the upcoming cruising season.
- IWAI and Antara Luxury River Cruises for River Cruise between Varanasi (UP) and Bogibeel (Dibrugarh, Assam) via Kolkata under the Indo-Bangladesh Protocol Route.
- IWAI and Adventure Resorts and Cruises for Development of Long Cruise on Kerela Backwaters (NW-3).
- 8. IWAI and JM Baxi River Cruise between Varanasi and Bogibeel via Kolkata under the Indo-Bangladesh Protocol Route
World Lupus Day 2022
⇒ World Lupus Day is observed each year on 10 May 10.
World Lupus Day is observed to raise awareness about Lupus, a chronic autoimmune disease that can cause damage to virtually any part of the body.
The exact cause of this disease remains unknown but factors such as hormones, genes, and environment are suspected causes of lupus. Although the symptoms of lupus can vary, some common symptoms may include fatigue, chest pain, mouth ulcers, sunlight sensitivity, swelling in lymph nodes, memory problems, etc.