Incentive scheme to promote RuPayDebit cards and low-value BHIM-UPI transactions
⇒ The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved an incentive scheme to promote RuPayDebit cards and low-value (upto Rs.2,000) BHIM-UPI transactions (Person-to-Merchant (P2M)] in the country. The approval of the incentive scheme was given on 15 December 2021.
Under the scheme, the acquiring banks will be incentivised by the Government, by way of paying percentage of value of transactions (P2M) done through RuPay Debit cards and low-value BHIM-UPI modes of payments.
The estimated financial outlay of the scheme is Rs 1,300 crore for a period of one year with effect from April 1, 2021.
This scheme will facilitate acquiring Banks in building robust digital payment ecosystem and promoting RuPay Debit card and BHIM-UPI digital transactions, across all sectors and segments of the population and further deepening of digital payments in the country.
India’s first and one of world’s largest Green Hydrogen Microgrid Projects
⇒ India’s first and one of world’s largest Green Hydrogen Microgrid Projects will be set up at Simhadri.
NTPC has awarded a project of “Standalone Fuel-Cell based Micro-grid with hydrogen production using electrolyser in NTPC Guest House at Simhadri (near Visakhapatnam)”.
- Under the project, hydrogen would be produced using the advanced 240 kW Solid Oxide Electrolyser by taking input power from the nearby Floating Solar project.
- The hydrogen produced during sunshine hours would be stored at high pressure and would be electrified using a 50 kW Solid Oxide Fuel Cell.
- It is India’s first Green Hydrogen based Energy Storage Project.
- This unique project configuration is designed in-house by NTPC.
- It would be a precursor to large scale hydrogen energy storage projects.
- It would be useful for studying and deploying multiple microgrids in various off grid and strategic locations of the country.
- It is a unique project for India and would open doors for decarbonising the far-off regions of the country like Ladakh, J&K etc., hitherto dependent on diesel generators.
- The project is in-line with the vision of Hon’ble Prime Minister for becoming carbon neutral by 2070 and making Ladakh a carbon neutral territory.
Book titled ‘Rewinding of First 25 years of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology’
⇒ Shri Ajay Sawhney, Secretary, MeitY unveiled the book titled ‘Rewinding of First 25 years of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology’ on 14 December 2021.
The book- ‘Rewinding of First 25 years of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology’, narrating the first 25 years of MeitY, is authored by Shri S.S. Oberoi, the former adviser at the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
Speaking at the event, Shri Ajay Prakash Sawhney said “India has added nearly 40 unicorns in the last 50 weeks in the Startup world”.
- In 1987, India’s CAGR in software exports was Rs 51 crores and today, it is 5 lakh crores. It represents CAGR of over 35% year on year for more than 30 years.
Indigenous Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) UAV development programme 'Rustom-2'
⇒ The indigenous Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) development programme ‘Rustom-2’ by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has crossed a milestone by reaching an altitude of 25,000 feet and an endurance of 10 hours. This was stated by Secretary R&D and DRDO Chairman Dr Sateesh Reddy in December 2021.
Designed and developed by:
It has been designed and developed by the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), Bengaluru with production partners being the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd and the Bharat Electronics Limited.
- It is being developed to carry out surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) roles and is capable of carrying different combinations of advanced payload and capable of auto landing among others.
» It is set to reach 30,000 altitude and 18 hours endurance within two months.
» Last year, Rustom-2 successfully flew for eight hours at an altitude of 16,000 feet.
Chief of Staff of the Eastern Naval Command
⇒ Vice Admiral Sanjay Vatsayan, AVSM NM assumed charge as Chief of Staff of the Eastern Naval Command on 16 December 2021.
Vice Admiral Sanjay Vatsayan is an alumnus of the prestigious National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla, Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, Naval War College, Mumbai and the National Defence College, New Delhi.
Flag Officer Commanding Maharashtra Naval Area
⇒ Rear Admiral Sandeep Mehta, VSM, assumed office as the Flag Officer Commanding Maharashtra Naval Area (FOMA) at Mumbai on 16 December 2021.
Rear Admiral Mehta was commissioned on 01 January 1989, in the Executive branch of the Indian Navy.
2022 AFC Women's Asian Cup
⇒ The 2022 AFC Women’s Asian Cup was the 20th edition of the AFC Women’s Asian Cup. This is the quadrennial international football tournament in Asia.
India hosted the AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022 from 20 January 2022 to 06 February 2022. This is the second time that India has hosted the competition, the first being in 1979.
China won the 2022 AFC Women’s Asian Cup football tournament.
China PR (People’s Republic) beat South Korea 3-2 to clinch the 2022 AFC Women’s Asian Cup Final title at the DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai. It was the 9th AFC Women’s Asian Cup title won by China.