DRDO's Long-Range Bomb (LRB)
⇒ Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Indian Air Force (IAF) team jointly flight tested indigenously developed Long-Range Bomb (LRB) successfully from an aerial platform on October 29, 2021.
The flight of the bomb and the performance was monitored by a number of range sensors including Electro Optical Tracking System (EOTS), Telemetry and radar deployed by the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur in Odisha.
Designed and developed by:
The LR Bomb has been designed and developed by Research Centre Imarat (RCI), a DRDO laboratory located at Hyderabad in coordination with other DRDO laboratories.
⇒ Union Ayush Minister Shri Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated the ‘AYUR-UDYAMAH’ at New Delhi, where he released the RIS report titled ‘AYUSH Sector in India: Prospects and Challenges’.
Speaking on the occasion, the Minister said, the market size of AYUSH has grown by 17 percent in 2014-20 to reach US dollars 18.1 billion.
As per the Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS) report:
- Despite a slump in economic activity in 2020 due to the pandemic, the industry is projected to reach US$ 20.6 billion in 2021 and US$ 23.3 billion in 2022.
- In terms of global share, India has grown faster in the AYUSH market as compared to the world and accounts for about 2.8 per cent of the market.
- On the occasion, AIIA ICAINE–All India Institute of Ayurveda – Incubation Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship–the first of its’ kind incubation centre under the Ministry of Ayush to promote the Start-ups was launched.
- AIIA first of its’ kind blood bank, along with Bal Raksha Kit, RIS-FITM journal was also launched.
» The Ayush Ministry celebrated November 2 as the 6th Ayurveda Day.
National Conference on “International Year of Fruits and Vegetables”
⇒ Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Shri Narendra Singh Tomar addressed a National Conference on “International Year of Fruits and Vegetables” organized by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare in collaboration with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- The conference was organized as part of the celebration of the “International Year of Fruits and Vegetables, 2021” declared by United Nations Organization.
- The theme for this year is “Awareness about the nutritional benefits of fruits and vegetables for balanced and healthy diet and life style.”
The Minister also released operational guidelines for the Horticulture Cluster Development Programme and QR code of the guidelines.
Microsoft launches Microsoft AI Innovate in India
⇒ Microsoft launched a new programme Microsoft AI Innovate for nurturing and scaling startups that are leveraging Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Microsoft AI Innovate aims to bring together startups, corporates, industry bodies, governments, and venture capital firms, and create a shared platform for learning and innovation.
About Microsoft AI Innovate:
- Microsoft AI Innovate is a 10-week initiative that will support startups in India leveraging AI technologies, helping them scale operations, drive innovation, and build industry expertise.
- Both B2B and B2C startups from diverse industries including financial services, healthcare, education, agriculture, space, manufacturing and logistics, retail, and e-commerce are invited to participate in the quarterly cohorts of this immersive program.
- Supported by TiE Mumbai, the launch cohort began in November 2021.
European Parliament’s Sakharov Prize 2021
⇒ The European Parliament’s 2021 Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought has been awarded to Russian opposition politician and anti-corruption activist Alexei Navalny.
- The Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought is awarded each year by the European Parliament.
- It was set up in 1988 to honour individuals and organisations defending human rights and fundamental freedoms.
- It is named in honour of Soviet physicist and political dissident Andrei Sakharov.
- Sakharov prize money is 50,000 euros.
- It is the European Union’s top human rights prize.
India's CEC visits Uzbekistan as an International Observer for Presidential Elections
⇒ Shri Sushil Chandra, Chief Election Commissioner of India visited Uzbekistan as an International Observer for Presidential Elections.
On the invitation of the Chairman, Central Election Commission of Uzbekistan, (CEC-U), Chief Election Commissioner of India, Shri Sushil Chandra led a three-member delegation to Uzbekistan in order to observe the conduct of Presidential elections held on 24 October 2021.
This election, conducted under the new election code, was keenly watched by the international community.
- Under the Uzbekistan Election law, the President is elected for a five-year term from a single nationwide constituency.
- The election administration follows a three-tier structure comprised of the Central Election Commission, 14 District Election Commissions and 10,760 Precinct Election Commissions.
- Uzbekistan has an electorate of about 20 million.
15th India-Israel Joint Working Group (JWG) meeting
⇒ The 15th India-Israel Joint Working Group (JWG) meeting was held on October 27, 2021 in Tel Aviv, Israel.
The meeting was co-chaired by Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar and the Director General of the Israel’s Ministry of Defence, Maj Gen (Retd) Amir Eshel.
- India-Israel Joint Working Group (JWG) on Bilateral Defence Cooperation has agreed to form a Task Force to formulate a comprehensive Ten-Year Roadmap to identify new areas of cooperation.
- The two sides reviewed the progress made in Military-to-Military engagements including exercises and industry cooperation.
- It was also decided to form a SWG on Defence Industry Cooperation and in this regard a Terms of Reference was signed between the two sides.
The JWG is the apex body between the Ministry of Defence of India and Israel’s Ministry of Defence to comprehensively review and guide all aspects of Bilateral Defence Cooperation.
World Menopause Day
⇒ World Menopause Day is held every year on the 18th October.
The theme for World Menopause Day 2021 is ‘Bone Health’.
The purpose of the day is to raise awareness of the menopause and the support options available for improving health and wellbeing.