National Road Safety Month:
- Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways and MSMEs Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the first-ever National Road Safety Month in New Delhi on 18 January 2021.
The event is organised throughout the country to create awareness among general public and specially amongst the youth to improve safety on roads and to give an opportunity to all stakeholders to contribute to the cause of road safety.
Chief of Army Staff Commendation Award:
- Chief Controller in Mil Rail, Shri Amresh Kumar Chaudhary has been awarded prestigious “Chief of Army Staff Commendation”.
The award has been conferred for his outstanding contribution to Armed Forces during critical period of Covid-19 pandemic and its’ various operations.
IFFI’s Lifetime Achievement Award:
- In the 51st edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI), Italian cinematographer Mr. Vittorio Storaro has been honored with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement award, at the opening ceremony held on January 16, 2021.
He has received three Oscar Awards for Best Cinematography for the films ‘Apocalypse Now’ (1979), ‘Reds’ (1981), & ‘The Last Emperor’ (1987).
- Government has approved the appointment of Belarussian coach Nikolai Snesarev as the middle and long distance coach of the Indian athletics team.
The 72-year-old has been appointed till the end of September, a period which will coincide with the Tokyo Olympics scheduled to take place in July-August.
- The Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) celebrates its Annual Day every year on the 15th January.
CARA was granted the status of a Statutory body of Government of India with effective from January 15, 2016.
- Renowned Indian classical musician, Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan, belonging to the Rampur-Sahaswan Gharana died in Mumbai on 17 January 2021. He was 89.
He was conferred with the Padma Shri in 1991, followed by Padma Bhushan in 2006 and Padma Vibhushan in 2018. In 2003, he was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award.
- Former Member of Parliament B S Gnanadesikan passed away due to prolonged illness in Chennai on 15 January 2021. He was 71.
He served as Rajya Sabha Member from the Congress Party twice from 2001 to 2013.