Global Innovation Index 2021 was published by the World Intellectual Property Organization, a specialized agency of the United Nations.
The 2021 edition of the Global Innovation Index (GII) presents the latest global innovation ranking of 132 economies, relying on 81 different indicators. The Index is a ranking of the innovation capabilities and results of world economies.
The GII has two sub-indices: the Innovation Input Sub-Index and the Innovation Output Sub-Index, and seven pillars, each consisting of three sub-pillars.
Seven Pillars of two sub-indices:
Innovation Input Sub-Index: Institutions; Human capital and research; Infrastructure; Market sophistication; Business sophistication.
Innovation Output Sub-Index: Knowledge and technology outputs; Creative outputs.
Rank of India:
India has been ranked 46th among the 132 economies featured in the Global Innovation Index 2021 rankings.
Performance of India:
- India has climbed 2 spots from last year 2020.
- India has been on a rising trajectory, over the past several years in the Global Innovation Index (GII), from a rank of 81 in 2015 to 46 in 2021.
- India performed better in innovation outputs than innovation inputs in 2021.
- This year India ranks 57th in innovation inputs, the same as last year but higher than 2019.
- As for innovation outputs, India ranks 45th. This position is the same as last year but higher than 2019.
- India ranks 2nd among the 34 lower middle-income group economies.
- India ranks 1st among the 10 economies in Central and Southern Asia.
» Switzerland, Sweden, the U.S., and the U.K. have all ranked among the top 5 in the past three years, while the Republic of Korea joins the top 5 of the GII for the first time in 2021.
» The majority of the GII top 25 most innovative economies continue to be from Europe.
» Five Asian economies feature among the top 15 – the Republic of Korea (5th) and Singapore (8th) are in the top 10, followed by China (12th), Japan (13th) and Hong Kong, China (14th).
Top and bottom countries of Global Innovation Index 2021
Top Five Countries:
Rank 1- Switzerland
Rank 2- Sweden
Rank 3- United States of America
Rank 4- United Kingdom
Rank 5- Republic of Korea
Bottom Five Countries:
Rank 128- Benin
Rank 129- Niger
Rank 130- Guinea
Rank 131- Yemen
Rank 132- Angola