Global Innovation Index 2022 was published by the World Intellectual Property Organization, a specialized agency of the United Nations. It was the 15th edition of the Global Innovation Index.
- The 2022 edition of the Global Innovation Index (GII) tracks the most recent global innovation trends against the background of an ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, slowing productivity growth and other evolving challenges.
- It reveals the most innovative economies in the world, ranking the innovation performance of around 132 economies while highlighting innovation strengths and weaknesses.
Rank of India:
India has been ranked 40th among the 132 economies featured in the Global Innovation Index 2022 rankings.
Performance of India:
- India has climbed 6 spots from last year 2021.
- India has been on a rising trajectory, over the past several years in the Global Innovation Index (GII), from a rank of 81 in 2015 to 40 in 2022.
- In Central and Southern Asia, India ranks first, followed by Iran (2nd) and Uzbekistan (3rd).
- India ranks 1st among the 36 lower middle-income group economies.
Global Innovation Index 2022 rankings of India by innovation pillar:
|Institutions||Human capital and research||Infrastructure||Market sophistication||Business sophistication||Knowledge and technology outputs||Creative outputs|
- Switzerland for the 12th year in a row ranks first in the GII 2022. The United States climbs to 2nd position.
- Türkiye (37th) and India (40th) enter the top 40 for the first time.
- India, the Islamic Republic of Iran and – for the first time – Uzbekistan (82nd) and Pakistan (87th) lead the Central and Southern Asia region.
- In the GII 2022, 26 countries are outperforming on innovation relative to their development, including newcomers Indonesia, Uzbekistan and Pakistan.
- India, Kenya, the Republic of Moldova and Viet Nam hold the record by outperforming for the 12th year in a row.
- Of the 26 outperformers on innovation, eight are from Sub-Saharan Africa, with Kenya, Rwanda and Mozambique in the lead.
Top & Bottom Countries in Global Innovation Index 2022 rankings:
India’s Neighboring Countries Ranking:
China (11th), Sri Lanka (85th), Pakistan (87th) and Bangladesh (102nd), Nepal (111th)
The GII has two sub-indices: the Innovation Input Sub-Index and the Innovation Output Sub-Index, and seven pillars, each consisting of three sub-pillars.
Seven Pillars of two sub-indices:
Innovation Input Sub-Index: Institutions; Human capital and research; Infrastructure; Market sophistication; Business sophistication.
Innovation Output Sub-Index: Knowledge and technology outputs; Creative outputs.