Two day visit to Bangladesh as Guest of Honour
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi visited to Bangladesh on the invitation of Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina to participate in the neighbouring country’s National Day celebrations on March 26, 2021.
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, during his two-day visit to Bangladesh attended as Guest of Honour, the Golden Jubilee of Independence of Bangladesh on 26 March 2021. This event took place in National Parade Square, Tejgaon.
The birth centenary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the Father of the Nation of Bangladesh, was also celebrated at the event.
Gandhi Peace Prize 2020
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi handed over Gandhi Peace Prize 2020 posthumously conferred to Sheikh Mujibur Rahman to Sheikh Rehana, younger daughter of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman accompanied by her sister Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
This award was conferred in recognition of his outstanding contributions towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violent and other Gandhian methods.
During the event, Sheikh Rehana presented the “Eternal Mujib Memento” (सर्वकालिक मुजीब) to Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
Key points of Joint Statement issued on the occasion of the visit of Prime Minister of India to Bangladesh:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended an invitation to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to visit India in 2022 in commemoration of the Golden Jubilee of the establishment of diplomatic relations.
Signing of Bilateral Documents and Inauguration of Projects:
- MoU on Cooperation in the Field of Disaster Management, Resilience and Mitigation
- MoU between Bangladesh National Cadet Corps (BNCC) and National Cadet Corps of India (INCC)
- Foundation laying ceremony for ‘Rooppur Power Evacuation Project’ of five packages (Amin Bazar – Kaliakoir, Rooppur – Dhaka, Rooppur – Gopalganj, Rooppur – Dhamrai, Rooppur – Bogra)
- Inauguration of 3 border haats – Nalikata (India) – Saydabad (Bangladesh); Ryngku (India) – Bagan Bari (Bangladesh) and Bholagunj (India) – Bholagunj (Bangladesh)
- Inauguration of ‘Mitali Express’ – passenger train service on Dhaka-New Jalpaiguri-Dhaka route through Chilahati-Haldibari rail link;
- Announcement of linking the historic road between Mujibnagar and Nadia and naming it as Shadhinota Shorok