Union Education Minister, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ on 01 July 2021 released the Report on Unified District Information System for Education Plus (UDISE+) 2019-20 for School Education in India.
Key Points of 'Unified District Information System for Education Plus (UDISE+) 2019-20 Report':
- In 2019-20, total students in school education from pre-primary to higher secondary have crossed 26.45 crore. This is higher by 42.3 lakh compared to 2018-19.
Gross Enrolment Ratio:
- Gross Enrolment Ratio at all levels of school education has improved in 2019-20 compared to 2018-19.
- Gross Enrolment Ratio increased to 89.7% (from 87.7%) at Upper Primary level, 97.8% (from 96.1%) at Elementary Level, 77.9% (from 76.9%) at Secondary Level and 51.4% (from 50.1%) at Higher Secondary Level in 2019-20 (from 2018-19).
Enrolment of Girls:
- In 2019-20, enrolment of girls from primary to higher secondary is more than 12.08 crore. This is an increase by 14.08 lakh compared to 2018-19.
- Gross Enrolment Ratio of girls has increased to 90.5% (from 88.5%) at Upper Primary level, 98.7% (from 96.7%) at Elementary Level, 77.8% (from 76.9%) at Secondary Level and 52.4% (from 50.8%) at Higher Secondary Level in 2019-20 (from 2018-19).
Enrolment of boys for Higher Secondary:
- Gross Enrolment Ratio of boys for higher secondary is 50.5% in 2019-20.
Enrolment of Divyang:
- Enrolment of Divyang students has increased by 6.52% over 2018-19.
- In 2019-20, 96.87 lakh teachers have been engaged in school education. This is higher by about 2.57 lakh compared to 2018-19.
Pupil Teacher Ratio:
- The Pupil Teacher Ratio (PTR) has improved at all levels of school education.
- In 2019-20, the PTR for primary has become 26.5, PTR for upper primary and secondary has become 18.5 and PTR for higher secondary has become 26.1.
Gender Parity Index:
- Between 2012-13 and 2019-20, the Gender Parity Index (GPI) at both Secondary and Higher Secondary levels have improved.
- Improvement of GPI has been most pronounced at the higher secondary level, which has gone up to 1.04 in 2019-20 from 0.97 in 2012-13.
Other improvements in School:
- More than 80% schools in India in 2019-20 had functional electricity. This is an improvement by more than 6% over the previous year 2018-19.
- Number of schools having functional computers increased to 5.2 lakh in 2019-20 from 4.7 lakh in 2018-19.
- Number of schools having internet facility increased to 3.36 lakh in 2019-20 from 2.9 lakh in 2018-19.
- More than 90% schools in India had handwash facility in 2019-20. This is a major improvement, as this percentage was only 36.3% in 2012-13.
- More than 83% schools had electricity in 2019-20, an improvement by almost 7% over the previous year, 2018-19.
- More than 82% schools conducted medical check-up of students in 2019-20, an increase by more than 4% compared to previous year 2018-19.
- More than 84 percent schools in India had a library/reading room/reading corner in 2019-20, an improvement of nearly 4% compared to the previous year.
Unified District Information System for Education (UDISE) was initiated in 2012-13. It is one of the largest Management Information Systems on School Education. It covers more than 1.5 million schools, more than 9.6 million teachers and more than 264 million children.
UDISE+ is an updated and improved version of UDISE. The entire system is now online and has been collecting data in real-time since 2018-19.