Static test of a human-rated solid rocket booster (HS200) for the Gaganyaan programme
⇒ The Indian Space Research Organisation on 13 May 2022 successfully completed the static test of a human-rated solid rocket booster (HS200) for the Gaganyaan programme at Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
» HS200 rocket booster is the human-rated version of the well-proven S200 rocket booster of GSLV Mk III satellite launch vehicle, popularly known as LVM3.
- The design and development of the HS200 booster were completed at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram and propellant casting was completed at Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC), Sriharikota.
The S200 motor, which is the first stage of the LVM3 launch vehicle intended for launching a 4,000 kg class satellite to the geosynchronous transfer orbit, was configured as a strap-on rocket booster.
Based on the successful launch pedigree of this launch vehicle including the Chandrayaan mission, the LVM3 has been identified as the launcher for the Gaganyaan mission.
17th state to have its own MyGov
⇒ MyGov is the world’s largest and most successful citizen engagement program, launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister on 26 July, 2014.
» MyGov Karnataka was launched by Chief Minister Shri Basavraj Bommai on 17th May 2022.
- Karnataka becomes the 17th state to have its own MyGov state instance.
MyGov Karnataka will work as an idea crowdsourcing platform and aims to promote active citizen participation and engagement in governance and policymaking. Dissemination of timely and authentic information about welfare schemes of the Government is also the prime focus of MyGov Karnataka.
MoU between C-DOT and Vodafone Idea Limited
⇒ Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) and Vodafone Idea Limited signed a MoU on 17th of May, 2022 on the occasion of “World Telecommunication and Information Society Day”.
- Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) is the premier R&D centre of the Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of Communications, GoI.
» The signing of MOU will help both the organizations leverage each other’s expertise in their respective domains to develop and deploy IoT/M2M solutions in India.
- IoT adoption has become critical for any organization’s digital transformation journey.
- However, in the current deployments, certain operational challenges such as device network compatibility, over the air firmware upgrade, remote device configuration, security vulnerabilities and implementation in siloes with proprietary protocols are preventing businesses from reaping the scale benefits of IoT.
- To address these challenges in IoT implementation, both C-DOT and Vodafone Idea Limited have agreed to collaborate and work jointly on non-exclusive basis, to evaluate applications and devices from various solution providers against oneM2M specifications and offer joint certificates.
Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare and Chemicals & Fertilizers visits Jordan
⇒ In a first of its kind initiative, a high-level delegation led by Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya visited Jordan from 13th to 15th May, 2022 with the objective of securing fertilizers and raw materials, both for short and long term.
The Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare and Chemicals & Fertilizers visited Jordan for enhanced cooperation in Fertilizer Sector amid Global Fertilizers crisis.
» MOUs were signed with Jordan Phosphate Mining Company (JPMC) for supplies of 30 LMT Rock Phosphate, 2.50 LMT DAP, 1 LMT phosphoric acid for the current year with the Indian public, cooperative and private sector companies.
» India has also signed a long-term MOU for 5 years with Jordan for annual supplies of 2.75 LMT of MoP which will uniformly increase every year up to 3.25 LMT.
These supplies will be crucial for assured fertiliser supply for the ensuing cropping seasons in India.
During the meetings Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya mentioned Jordan as India’s preferred partner for the fertilizer sector.
- Both sides agreed that there are tremendous opportunities to work together in areas of Fertilizers, Agriculture and Health.
2022 Global Peace Index
⇒ India has climbed three places to 135th position out of 163 countries in the 2022 Global Peace Index. The index placed India in the “low” section in terms of peace with a score of 2.578.
2022 Thomas & Uber Cup
⇒ The 2022 Thomas & Uber Cup badminton tournament was held in Bangkok, Thailand from 8 to 15 May 2022.
It was the 32nd edition of the Thomas Cup and the 29th edition of the Uber Cup. The biennial international badminton championship is played by the national teams of the member associations of Badminton World Federation (BWF).
2022 Thomas Cup:
The Indian men’s badminton team won the 2022 BWF Thomas Cup, the World Men’s Badminton Championship.
The Indian men’s badminton team which created history by winning the coveted Thomas Cup for the first time with a spectacular 3-0 victory over 14-time champion Indonesia in the final in Bangkok.
- India has become the sixth country to lift the Thomas Cup.
Results: India 3-0 Indonesia
MS1: Lakshya Sen beat Anthony Sinisuka Ginting – 8-21, 21-17, 21-16
MD 1: Satwiksairaj Rankireddy & Chirag Shetty beat Mohammad Ahsan & Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo – 18-21, 23-21, 21-19
MS2: Srikanth Kidambi beat Jonatan Christie – 21-15, 23-21
2022 Uber Cup:
Uber Cup is known as the world women’s team championship. South Korea won the 2022 BWF Uber Cup, the World Women’s Badminton Championship, defeating China 3–2 for their second title.
- The Indian women’s badminton team was crashed out of the Uber Cup Finals after being drubbed 0-3 by Thailand in the quarterfinals. Double Olympic medallist P V Sindhu fought hard before losing to Ratchanok Intanon.