7 Mega Integrated Textile Region and Apparel (PM MITRA - पीएम मित्र) Parks
⇒ The Union Government has approved the setting up of 7 Mega Integrated Textile Region and Apparel (PM MITRA – पीएम मित्र) parks as announced in the Union Budget for 2021-22 with a total outlay of Rs 4,445 crore in a period of 5 years.
PM MITRA (पीएम मित्र) is inspired by the 5F vision of Hon’ble Prime Minister.
- The ‘5F’ Formula encompasses: Farm to fibre; fibre to factory; factory to fashion; fashion to foreign.
The 7 Mega Integrated Textile Region and Apparel parks will be setup at Greenfield / Brownfield sites located in different willing States.
- Several states such as Tamil Nadu, Punjab, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Assam, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and Telangana have expressed interest.
- Sites for PM MITRA will be selected by a Challenge Method based on objective criteria.
» Maximum Development Capital Support of ₹ 500 crore to all Greenfield PM MITRA and a maximum of ₹ 200 Crore to Brownfield PM MITRA will be provided for development of Common Infrastructure (@30% of the Project Cost).
» Rs 300 Crore of Competitiveness Incentive Support will also be provided to each PM MITRA Park for early establishment of textiles manufacturing units in PM MITRA.
» State Government supports will include provision of 1,000 Acre land for development of a world class industrial estate.
» For a Greenfield PM MITRA Park, the GOI Development Capital Support will be 30% of the Project Cost, with a cap of ₹ 500 Cr.
» For Brownfield sites, after assessment, Development Capital Support @30% of project cost of balance infrastructure and other support facilities to be developed and restricted to a limit of Rs 200 Crore.
PM MITRA Parks Infrastructure:
Core Infrastructure: Incubation Centre & Plug & Play facility, Developed Factory Sites, Roads, Power, Water and Waste Water system, Common Processing House & CETP and other related facilities e.g. Design Centre, Testing Centres etc.
Support Infrastructure: Workers’ hostels & housing, logistics park, warehousing, medical, training & skill development facilities
- PM MITRA (पीएम मित्र) will develop 50% Area for pure Manufacturing Activity, 20% area for utilities, and 10% of area for commercial development.
13th edition of ‘Design and Engineering Summit
⇒ Shri Rajeev Chandrasekhar, Minister of State for Electronics and IT, Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, virtually attended the 13th edition of ‘Design and Engineering Summit’.
Organized by and Theme:
The summit was organized by NASSCOM on October 6-7, 2021 with the theme ‘Engineering the next’.
The summit was to celebrate the Global Engineering and Design effort with special focus on 4 objectives:
- Driving research and innovation to create value
- Co-creation for scale and growth
- Digitisation for customer success and faster product cycle
- Defining the future of work framework and to align business to sustainability goals
Addressing the Summit, Shri Rajeev Chandrasekhar said:
- The Engineering, Research & Development (ER&D) sector generates $31 billion plus revenue and is home to more than 1000+ global companies that have set up centres in India for product R&D across diverse sectors.
- In addition, 12 of the top 50 Engineering Service Providers are headquartered in India and 44 of top 50 Service Providers have ER&D operations in India.
- Over 70% of the 50 most innovative global companies have a R&D centre in India.
- The event has an interesting theme on `Engineering the Next’ and India must lead this clarion call – build innovative solutions for the world and for India; build for the next billion, build solutions that enable us to meet our SDG goals and build solutions that can prevent the next pandemic.
NASSCOM, a not-for-profit industry association, is the premier trade body and chamber of commerce of the Tech industry in India and comprises over 3000 member companies including both Indian and multinational organisations that have a presence in India.
Newly Discovered Species
⇒ The newly discovered species of gecko is named after Jackie Chan.
Researchers from the Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS); Centre for Ecological Sciences (CES), Indian Institute of Science; and the National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bengaluru, have discovered 12 new species of geckos from the Western Ghats.
The agile Cnemaspis jackieii or Jackie’s Day Gecko is among 12 species of geckos recorded from the Western Ghats.
India's first commercial flight by JRD Tata re-enacted by Tata group
⇒ Aarohi Pandit, the world’s first woman pilot to cross the Atlantic Ocean and Pacific Ocean solo in a Light-Sport Aircraft (LSA), re-enacted the memories of India’s first commercial flight flown by Bharat Ratna JRD Tata.
On October 15, 1932, JRD Tata flew India’s first first-commercial flight on a single-engine De Havilland Puss Moth aircraft from Karachi to Mumbai.
Chairman of Paradip Port Trust
⇒ Shri P.L. Haranadh took over the post of Chairman of Paradip Port Trust (PPT) on 07 October 2021. Shri Haranadh is a IRTS officer of 1994 batch.
Maharashtra Government signs MoU with Causis E-Mobility Pvt Ltd
⇒ The state government of Maharashtra has signed a memorandum of understanding worth Rs 2,800 crore with Causis E-Mobility Pvt Ltd to establish an electric vehicle (EV) manufacturing facility in the state. Causis E-Mobility is a UK-based electric vehicle startup.
The state government has planned to set up this EV production unit in Talegaon, Pune.
The first phase of the memorandum is the establishment of the EV manufacturing unit, following which the organisation will also set up its battery gigafactory in the state to supply batteries for electric vehicles.
United States–India Business Council’s (USIBC) 46th Annual General Meeting and India Ideas Summit
⇒ Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister for Commerce & Industry and Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution addressed the United States–India Business Council’s (USIBC) 46th Annual General Meeting and India Ideas Summit.
- The ‘India Ideas Summit’ was held virtually from 6 to 7 October 2021.
The theme of India Ideas Summit was ‘From Recovery to Resurgence: reflecting the growing importance of global economic recovery amidst emerging healthcare issues and technological trends’.
This year’s Summit included:
- Powering the global economic recovery in the post-COVID world
- Discussions with key Ministers on healthcare innovation in Indian states
- Fireside chats with industry officials on startups and emerging technology to tackle COVID and the “new” normal
- Breakout sessions with government officials, moderated by industry leaders on healthcare collaboration during the pandemic
- Governments’ collaboration and the business community’s support to mobilize new programs and resources in both countries
Prestigious Awards during ‘India Ideas Summit’:
USIBC Global Leadership Award 2021:
At the Summit, two USIBC Annual Global Leadership Awards were presented.
The award winners are:
- Shiv Nadar, founder and chairman emeritus, HCL Technologies
- Mallika Srinivasan, chair and managing director, Tractors and Farm Equipment Limited
USIBC Global Leadership Humanitarian Awards 2021:
The USIBC has also presented the 2021 Global Leadership Humanitarian Awards to top leaders of Accenture, IBM and Microsoft, for forming the Global Task Force on Pandemic Response (GTF).
The award winners are:
- Julie Sweet, CEO and Chair, Accenture
- Arvind Krishna, Chairman and CEO, IBM
- Brad Smith, President and Vice-Chair, Microsoft