- 5th BRICS Culture Ministers’ Meeting was held on September 3, 2020. Union Minister of State (I/C) for Culture and Tourism Shri Prahlad Singh Patel attended the meeting through video conference. Chairpersonship of 5th BRICS Culture Ministers’ Meeting was Russian Federation. The delegates from Culture Ministries of the Brazil, Russian, India, China and South Africa participated in the meeting.
- The BRICS Joint Exhibition titled “Bonding Regions & Imagining Cultural Synergies” under the auspices of the BRICS Alliance of Art Museums and Galleries will be hosted by National Gallery of Modern Arts, New Delhi. The exhibition is proposed to be organised in 2021.
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind will virtually confer National Award to Teachers 2020 in New Delhi on Teachers’ day, 05 Sep 2020. The national level awards are given to teachers to celebrate the unique contribution of some of the finest teachers in the country.
- The 11th Edition of Exercise INDRA NAVY-20, a biennial bilateral maritime exercise between Indian Navy and Russian Navy is scheduled in the Bay of Bengal from 04 to 05 September 2020. The exercise is aimed at enhancing interoperability, improving understanding and imbibing best practices between the two navies, and would involve surface and anti-aircraft drills, firing exercises, helicopter operations etc.
- On the occasion of teacher’s day, 05 Sep 2020, Films Division will be screening a documentary “Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan-President of India”, made in 1966, on Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, former President of India and eminent philosopher-academic.
- Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment will launch the “24×7 Toll-Free Mental Health Rehabilitation Helpline – “KIRAN” (1800-500-0019)” through virtual mode Webcast on 07 September 2020. This Helpline has been developed by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment. This helpline will offer mental health rehabilitation services with the objective of early screening, first-aid, psychological support, distress management, mental well-being, promoting positive behaviors, psychological crisis management etc.
Business And Technology:
- Google has launched a new feature news section on Google Podcasts. Google podcasts feature provides news updates to users of US in an audible format that is customised as per their interests.
- The researchers at Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST) under the Department of Science and Technology, Govt of India have developed canister bags lined with super-absorbent material containing an effective disinfectant, named as “AcryloSorb”.
Infected respiratory secretions from contagious diseases such as COVID 19, tuberculosis (TB), and influenza poses high risk for healthcare workers, This is for the safe management of infected respiratory secretions.
- IIT Tirupati and IISER Tirupati have jointly developed the Portable Optical Cavity. This hybrid sterilization system consisting of a UV radiation cavity, cold plasma, and H2O2 spray. This Portable Sterilization unit using new hybrid sterilization technology can decontaminate PPEs rapidly.
IIT, Tirupati scientists Dr. Reetesh Kumar Gangwar (Asst. Prof., Physics), Dr. Arijit Sharma (Asst. Prof., Physics), and Dr. Shihabudheen M Maliyekkal (Asst. Prof., Civil & Environmental Engineering), has developed this hybrid sterilization system. Dr. VasudharaniDevanathan from IISER Tirupati will assist the IIT, Tirupati team in evaluating the sterilizing efficiency of the portable unit.
- Akshay Kumar will launch a made in India multiplayer action game titled “FAU-G” (Fearless And United – Guards). 20 percent of income from the app will be donated to Bharat Ke Veer, an initiative that raises funds for families of members of the armed forces. FAU-G is likely to be launched by the end of October and will be based on real-life conflicts encountered by the Indian security forces.
- The American Express Data Analytics, Risk and Technology (DART) Laboratory was inaugurated at Indian Institute of Technology Madras on 03 Sep 2020. The lab aims to establish itself as a world class hub of research in risk analytics and behavioral sciences by leveraging Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence and related technologies.
- Instagram has introduced a separate Reels tab on the home screen for its Indian users. Reels tab will replace the explore option. It will be made available across India in the coming days.
- Responsible Adolescence (READ) 2020 will be launched in the Kerala State on September 25. This programme aimed at helping adolescents develop into self-aware and socially responsible.
The Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) is organized its 60th SIAM Annual Convention on 4th September 2020 on a Virtual Platform.