New Defence Launch:
- Defence minister Rajnath Singh on 13 Aug 2020 launched the Konkurs missile test equipment and Konkurs launcher test equipment. These equipments are indigenously designed and developed by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL). These two products launched as part of Atmanirbhar Bharat. Atmanirbhar Bharat week is celebrating from August 7 to 14 august.
The Konkurs missile test equipment is designed for checking the serviceability of Konkurs-M anti-tank guided missiles. Konkurs launcher test equipment is designed and developed for checking the serviceability of Konkurs – M missile launchers.
- Ordnance Factory of Tiruchirappalli (OFT) unveiled new weapon an anti-materiel rifle (AMR) to be used by Indian Army. Defence minister Rajnath Singh launched the indigenous rifle through video conferencing on 13 August 2020 at OFT Campus. AMR is a large caliber (diameter) sniper rifle with 14.5mm and 20mm caliber.
Award & Prize:
- International Film Festival Thrissur (IFFT) is organising an International Online Short and Documentary Film Festival from 28 August 2020 to 31 August 2020 & theme of the festival is “Alone, Together“.
- Three armed forces personnel have been conferred with the prestigious shaurya chakra on the 74th Independence Day for showing exemplary courage while fighting terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir. Whose names are “Lieutenant Colonel Krishan Singh Rawat of Parachute Regiment (Special Forces)”, “Major Anil URS of 4 Maratha Light Infantry” and “Havildar Alok Kumar Dubey of Rajput Regiment 44 battalion of the Rashtriya Rifles”. Havildar Alok Kumar Dubey of Rajput Regiment 44 battalion of the Rashtriya Rifles have been named for the third highest “peacetime gallantry award”.
- Computer Scientist, Russell Kirsch died on 11 Aug 2020 at his home in Portland, Oregon. He was 91. He invented the Pixel. Pixels are the digital dots use to display photos, video.
- Writer and theatre person Gavish Hiremath died on 13 August 2020 in Bengaluru. He was 74. He has written around 50 books some are Pranaya Muktakagalu and Ninaginnu Heluvudide (collections of poems), Baduku Chadurangadata and Hakkigudu (novels) etc. He got Karnataka Lalitakala Academy Award in 1995, Gulbarga University Rajyotsava Award in 2008.
- Yakshagana artiste and a senior talamaddale arthadhari of yesteryear “Jokatte Mohammed” died on 13 August 2020 at Uppinangady. He was 76.
- M Sricharan Rangarajan was appointed as the eleventh Additional Advocate General for the bench of Madurai High Court.
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) announced on August 13 that INOX group will be the official sponsor of the Indian team for the rescheduled Tokyo Olympics. The Tokyo Olympics will be held from July 23 to August 8 in 2021. INOX Group will also support the team’s promotions through its entertainment company – INOX Leisure Limited.
- Cafe Coffee Day (CCD) has launches the retail format by partnering Coffee Day Essentials at one of its Bengaluru outlets. where customers can shop food and beverages. This is a joint venture between Coffee Day Global Ltd and Japanese firm Impact HD.
- Author Jeff Kinney new book – “My people have no skin tone“
- The RBI Board approved the transfer of ₹57,128 crore as surplus to the central government for the accounting year 2019-20 on 14 August 2020. The decision has taken in 584th meeting of the Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India chaired by Governor Shaktikanta Das.