Reappointment of Attorney General for India
⇒ Senior advocate, K K Venugopal has been reappointed as the Attorney General for India for a period of one year with effect from July 1, 2021. A notification was issued in this regard by the Department of Legal Affairs under the law ministry.
The current tenure of Venugopal was ended on June 30. He first took over as the attorney general, the top law officer of the Union government, on July 1, 2017.
Fukuoka Prize for 2021
⇒ Noted journalist Palagummi Sainath has been selected for the Japan’s Fukuoka Prize for 2021.
Mr. P. Sainath has been selected for the ‘Grand Prize’ of the Fukuoka Prize 2021. He has been selected as one of the three recipients of the Fukuoka Prize for 2021.
The other two award winners are:
- Academic Prize: Prof. Kishimoto Mio of Japan
- Arts and Culture Prize: Filmmaker Prabda Yoon of Thailand
This year’s award ceremony will be held online on September 29, 2021.
The Fukuoka Prize, established by the city of Fukuoka and the Fukuoka City International Foundation, is given to honor the outstanding work of individuals or organizations in preserving or creating Asian culture.
World Giving Index 2021
⇒ Recently, World Giving Index 2021 has been released by Charities Aid Foundation.
Rank of India:
India has been ranked at 14th most charitable nation out of 114 countries in the ‘World Giving Index’ 2021.
India, which had maintained a global average rank of 82 for ten years, became the 14th most generous country of the world.
According to the WGI 2021, about 61 percent of Indians helped strangers, 34 percent of Indians volunteered for social services while about 36 percent donated money despite national lockdown last year.
This year the World Giving Index has been topped by Indonesia, followed by Kenya and Nigeria in the top three respectively.
The WGI is a global survey, interviewing millions of people, and asking three questions from each one of them:
- Have they helped a stranger?
- Given money?
- Volunteered for a good cause over the past month?
- The Charities Aid Foundation is the United Kingdom based international organisation.
National Statistics Day
⇒ Statistics Day is celebrated on the birth anniversary of Late Prof. P C Mahalanobis on 29th June in the recognition of his invaluable contribution in establishing the National Statistical System. It is celebrated at the national level.
The Government celebrates the ‘Statistics Day’ to recognise the importance of Statistics in day-to-day life and to popularize its use.
The theme for the Statistics Day 2021 was Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) – 2 (End Hunger, Achieve Food Security and Improved Nutrition and Promote Sustainable Agriculture).
On this occasion, Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI) celebrated Statistics Day, 2021.
During the event, the winners of the National awards instituted by the Ministry were announced:
- Prof. P. C. Mahalanobis National Award in Official Statistics-2021 for the lifetime achievements: Dr. R. B. Barman, Former Chairman, National Statistical Commission.
- Prof. P. C. Mahalanobis National Award in Official Statistics-2021 in the category of in-service Official Statistician (above 45 years of age): Dr. Sitabhra Sinha, Professor, Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai
- Prof. C.R. Rao National Award in Statistics for Young Statisticians-2021: Dr. Kiranmoy Das, Associate Professor, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata