40th scientific expedition:
- On 04 January 2021, India launched the 40th scientific expedition to Antarctica. This Indian expedition marks four decades of country’s scientific endeavour to the southern white continent.
The 40th expedition journey for Antarctica was flagged off from Mormugao Port, Goa on January 5, 2021, with 43 members onboard.
The chartered ice-class vessel MV Vasiliy Golovnin will reach Antarctica in 30 days. After leaving behind a team of 40 members, it would return to India in April 2021.
Khelo India Sports School:
- Union minister of Youth Affairs & Sports Shri Kiren Rijiju launched the Assam Rifles Public School (ARPS) in Shillong as a Khelo India Sports School on 04 January 2021.
In the North-east region, Assam Rifles Public School is the first Sports School announced under Khelo India scheme.
The disciplines finalised for the school are Archery, Athletics and Fencing with a total intake strength of 100 athletes (Boys & Girls in equal ratio) for the first year.
At present, 9 Sports Schools have been approved across the country, out of which 5 are managed by Defence & Para-military forces.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India on 31 December 2020 signed a $100 million loan.
The loan has been signed to modernise and upgrade the power distribution system to enhance the quality and reliability of electricity supply in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- On 05 January 2021, Google Cloud said it has appointed its India business head Karan Bajwa as the new leader for the Asia pacific (APAC) region.
Global Technology Governance Summit:
- The World Economic Forum is convening the first Global Technology Governance Summit in Tokyo, Japan, in close collaboration with the ‘Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution’ (C4IR) Network. It will be held virtually from 6 to 7 April, 2021.
Information Technology minister of Telangana, ‘K. Taraka Rama Rao’ has been invited by the World Economic Forum (WEF) for this Summit.
- Former Maharashtra cabinet minister, Vilas Patil Undalkar was died on 04 January 2021. He was 82. He was elected seven times till 2014 from Karad South Assembly seat, in Congress leadership.
- Former New Zealand Cricket Batsman, John Fulton Reid died in Christchurch on 28 December 2020. He was 64.