Director General (Inspection and Safety) [DG(I&S)] of Indian Air Force
⇒ Air Marshal Sanjeev Kapoor assumed the appointment of Director General (Inspection and Safety) [DG(I&S)] of Indian Air Force at Air HQ New Delhi on 01 May 2022.
The Air Marshal is a graduate of National Defence Academy and was commissioned in the Flying branch of IAF in December 1985 as a Transport Pilot.
37th Air Chief Marshal PC Lal Memorial Lecture
⇒ The Raksha Mantri, Shri Rajnath Singh, delivered the Keynote Address for the 37th Air Chief Marshal PC Lal Memorial Lecture on 05 May 2022. The lecture was organized by the Air Force Association at the Air Force Auditorium, Subroto Park, New Delhi.
- The previous edition of the lecture was conducted in 2019.
On the occasion, the Raksha Mantri also released a book titled ‘INDO-PAK WAR 1971- Reminiscences of Air Warriors’.
- The book comprises 50 Swarnim articles penned by the veterans who have shared their experiences in detail. The book has been edited by Air Marshal Jagjeet Singh and Group Captain Shailendra Mohan.
About Air Chief Marshal PC Lal:
- Air Chief Marshal PC Lal was commissioned in the IAF in 1939.
- He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross during the Burma Campaign in World War II.
- He served as the Vice Chief of the Air Staff during the 1965 war.
- While on deputation to Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) in 1966, he served as the Chairman and Managing Director of HAL.
- As the 7th Chief of the Air Staff during the 1971 war, his outstanding leadership proved to be a decisive factor for India’s victory and for the liberation of Bangladesh.
- He was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1966 and the Padma Vibhushan in 1972 for his contributions during the two wars.
- After retirement in 1973, he was appointed as the chairman and managing director (CMD) of Indian Airlines and later chairman of Air India.
Summit on Enhancing Global Opportunities for Indian Project Exporters
⇒ Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution and Textiles, Shri Piyush Goyal delivered the Keynote Address at the ‘Summit on Enhancing Global Opportunities for Indian Project Exporters’ in New Delhi on 05 May 2022.
- It was organized by the Exim Bank (Export Import Bank of India).
The aim of the Summit was to pave way for a roadmap for reenergizing the pursuit for new project opportunities, reorienting focus to newer markets and lesser explored sectors, and re-moulding our approach to more collaborative frameworks.
Addressing the summit, Shri Piyush Goyal asked project exporters to diversify and foray into markets of the developed world and urged them to not restrict themselves to Government Line of Credit Projects and projects in the developing world.
- He complimented India Exim Bank for supporting exporters, for organizing the Summit by including international stakeholders, and for conducting the study on Indian Project Exports.
Delimitation Order for the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir
⇒ The Delimitation Commission met on 05 May 2022 to finalize the Delimitation Order for the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir.
The Delimitation Commission has been headed by Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai, a retired Judge of the Supreme Court of India.
- Shri Sushil Chandra, Chief Election Commissioner and Shri KK Sharma, State Election Commissioner, Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir are Ex-Officio members of the Delimitation Commission.
As per the final Delimitation Order, the following will come into effect from the date to be notified by the Central Government:
- Out of the 90 Assembly Constituencies in the region, 43 will be part of Jammu region and 47 for Kashmir region keeping in view the provisions of Section 9(1)(a) of the Delimitation Act, 2002 and Section 60(2)(b) of Jammu & Kashmir Reorganization Act, 2019.
- After consultation with Associate Members, representatives of political parties, citizens, civil society groups, 9ACs have been reserved for STs, out of which, 6 are in Jammu region and 3 ACs in the Valley.
- There are five Parliamentary Constituencies in the region. The Delimitation Commission has seen the Jammu & Kashmir region as one single Union Territory. Therefore, one of the Parliamentary Constituency has been carved out combining Anantnag region in the Valley and Rajouri & Poonch of Jammu region.
- The Delimitation Commission has reserved nine ACs for STs for the first time and 07 for SCs.
- All Assembly Constituencies shall remain within the boundary of concerned district.
- The Commission recommended additional seats in assembly for Kashmiri migrants and displaced persons from POJK.
» The Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir was carved out from the erstwhile State of Jammu and Kashmir through the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019 (34 of 2019), passed by the Parliament.
2nd India-Nordic Summit
⇒ Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi participated in the 2nd India-Nordic Summit at Copenhagen in Denmark on 04 May 2022.
In the Summit, PM Modi participated along with Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen of Denmark, Prime Minister Katrín Jakobsdóttir of Iceland, Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre of Norway, Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson of Sweden and Prime Minister Sanna Marin of Finland.
- The Summit was hosted by the Danish Prime Minister.
» The Summit provided an opportunity to review the progress of the India-Nordic relations since the 1st India-Nordic Summit, which was held in 2018 in Stockholm.
- Discussions were held on multilateral cooperation in post-pandemic economic recovery, climate change, sustainable development, innovation, digitalization, and green and clean growth.
- Discussions were also held on cooperation in maritime sector with a focus on sustainable ocean management.
- Prime Minister invited Nordic companies for investing in the Blue Economy sector, especially in India’s Sagarmala project.
- India’s partnership with the Nordic region in the Arctic Region was discussed.
- Prime Minister invited the sovereign wealth funds of the Nordic countries to invest in India.