Flag Officer Commanding Goa Area (FOGA) and Flag Officer Naval Aviation (FONA)
⇒ Rear Admiral Vikram Menon, VSM took over duties of Flag Officer Commanding Goa Area (FOGA) and Flag Officer Naval Aviation (FONA) on 30 Apr 2022.
He took over from Rear Admiral Philipose G Pynumootil, AVSM, NM, who retired after a career spanning over 36 years in service.
Rear Admiral Menon is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy and the Naval War College and was commissioned into the Indian Navy on 01 January 1990.
ENBA Award 2021
⇒ Doordarshan has won ENBA Award 2021 for the best in-depth Hindi series.
- TV series based on pet care ‘Best Friend Forever’ on Doordarshan has won big at the 14th edition of the Exchange4media News Broadcasting Awards (ENBA).
» The coveted ENBA awards celebrate remarkable work done by individuals and leaders in the media industry who are responsible for shaping the future of Television broadcasting in India.
- Best Friend Forever is half-an-hour weekly live phone-in show on DD National.
- In the show, two pet experts guide people on how to take care of their pets, about their food, nutrition, routine health check-ups, vaccination and other pet related issues.
- Objective of the show is to maintain a two-way communication where viewers can directly call and talk to the experts, and share their worries and experiences.
National Conclave on ‘Gender and Disability Inclusion in Indian Cities’
⇒ The Building Accessible, Safe and Inclusive Indian Cities (BASIIC) programme of the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) under the aegis of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, in collaboration with the United Nations in India, and the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), UK, organised a 3-day National Conclave on ‘Gender and Disability Inclusion in Indian Cities’ from 28th April to 30th April 2022 at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
The aim of the three-day workshop was to mainstream gender and disability inclusion in the implementation of the SDGS to ensure a more resilient, accessible, inclusive, safe, and sustainable India for all.
The National Conclave brought together policymakers, academia, the private sector, thematic experts, and implementers from across the country. They deliberated on city-level accessibility and inclusion challenges, exchanged ideas, shared technical expertise and knowledge, and contributed to the discourse on Urban Accessibility and Inclusion.
The opening day of the National Conclave witnessed the launch of the ‘Smart Solution Challenge and Inclusion Award’.
- The award has been invited for innovative ideas, technologies, products, business solutions and good practices to help resolve complex city-level inclusion and accessibility challenges.
- The ‘Smart Solutions Challenge and Inclusive Cities Awards’ will help build and enhance an ecosystem of socially inclusive innovations in India to address the urban challenges as well as acknowledge and recognize inclusive initiatives and projects being implemented within the Indian cities.
36th edition of AAHAR
⇒ The 36th edition of AAHAR was held from 26 April to 30 April 2022 at Pragati Maidan.
Agricultural & Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), in association with the India Trade Promotion Organization (ITPO), organized Asia’s biggest B2B international food and hospitality fair AAHAR 2022 at Pragati Maidan.
APEDA organized in the 36th edition of AAHAR with the theme “Geographical Indication Products” as APEDA is focusing on promotion of exports of GI certified agricultural products.
- AAHAR is a part of the series of export promotion initiatives taken by APEDA, which works under the Ministry of Commerce and Trade, to showcase agricultural and processed food products to the global players in the food and beverages industry.
- The fair is visited by a large number of importers from different parts of the world.
- Apart from AAHAR, APEDA also organizes national events like Organic World Congress, BioFach India etc to promote agri-exports.
Statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in Canada
⇒ The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, addressed Sanatan Mandir Cultural Centre (SMCC), Markham, Ontario, Canada on the occasion of inauguration of Sardar Patel’s Statue there via a video message.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi hailed the unveiling of a statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the first in North America, as “a marker for relations between the two countries”, on 01 May 2022.
- The bronze statue was unveiled at a programme at the Sanatan Mandir Cultural Center in the town of Markham in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada.
- This statue stands nine feet in height, atop at four-foot-high pedestal, and weighs approximately 1000kg.
2021 Summer Deaflympics
⇒ The 2021 Summer Deaflympics, commonly known as Caxias 2021, was held in Caxias do Sul in southern Brazil, from 1 May to 15 May 2022. It was the 24th edition of the Deaflympics.
The mascot of the Deaflympics 2021 was the Ring-tailed Coati- Nino. This name means: priceless, worthy of appreciation, cheerful, happy, very lucky, auspicious.
International Labour Day 2022
⇒ International Workers’ Day or Labour Day is celebrated every year on May 1 in most countries. It is also known as May Day.
» Labour Day is observed to commemorate the struggles and sacrifices of the workers’ and labours’ movement. The purpose of this day is to educate workers and labourers about their rights.
- The origin of Labour Day can be traced back to the United States of America in the 19th Century.
- May 1 in particular was chosen as the date to mark Labour Day to commemorate the nationwide strike for an eight-hour day in 1886 that began on May 1 and ended as the Haymarket affair in Chicago US.
- The Haymarket affair refers to the tragic incident where a labour protest rally turned violent after someone threw a bomb at the police leading to the death of seven police officers and at least four civilians.
- It was first celebrated in India in Madras (now Chennai) on May 1, 1923. The initiative was taken by the Labour Kisan Party of Hindustan.