- World Post Day observed every year on October 9. This aims to mark the anniversary of the establishment of Universal Postal Union. On this occasion, Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications, Government of India is celebrating National Postal week. The 7-day celebration was started from 9th October, 2020 & will be end on 15th October, 2020.
|9th October 2020||World Post Day|
|10th October 2020||Banking Day|
|12th October 2020||PLI Day|
|13th October 2020||Philately Day|
|14th October 2020||Business Development Day|
|15th October 2020||Mails Day|
- Facebook India has appointed Sunil Abraham as the company’s Public Policy, Director for Data and Emerging Tech.
- Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad will host the seventh meeting of Ministers of Justice of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) on October 16. The virtual meeting will be attended by Law and Justice Ministers of China, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyz Republic.
In 7th SCO meeting Law and Justice Ministers will discuss on:
Deliberate on areas of cooperation, creating favourable conditions for resolving disputes and implementation of the Action Plan of the Working Groups of Experts on Forensic Activities and Legal Services
- Indian-origin philanthropist Harish Kotecha has been awarded the prestigious Sandra Neese Lifetime Achievement Award at 32nd annual conference of NAEHCY, on 09 Oct 2020. He got the award for his work in the US for meeting the needs of children and youth experiencing homelessness. Harish Kotecha is founder and president of Hindu Charities for America. The award was presented by the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY).
Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences:
On 12th October 2020, The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2020 to:
Paul R. Milgrom, Stanford University, USA
Robert B. Wilson, Stanford University, USA
The award has been jointly given to both “for improvements to auction theory and inventions of new auction formats.”
- Yahoo will shut down Yahoo Groups from on December 15. The Yahoo Groups service was launched in 2001. On October 12, the creation of new groups will be disabled. People will no longer be able to send and receive emails from Yahoo Groups from December 15. The website will no longer be accessible too. Yahoo Mail will continue to function normally.
- The international gymnastics tournament event sanctioned by the International Gymnastics Federation and will feature 32 athletes from Japan, China, Russia and the United States. Japan Gymnastics Association said Tokyo will host the international gymnastics tournament on Nov 8.