Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM)
⇒ INS Arihant carried out a successful launch of a Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM) on October 14, 2022.
- The missile was tested to a predetermined range and impacted the target area in the Bay of Bengal with very high accuracy. All operational and technological parameters of the weapon system have been validated.
- The successful user training launch of the SLBM by INS Arihant is significant to prove crew competency and validate the SSBN programme, a key element of India’s nuclear deterrence capability.
‘Maa Bharati Ke Sapoot’ Website
⇒ Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh launched ‘Maa Bharati Ke Sapoot’ website (maabharatikesapoot.mod.gov.in) for contribution to the Armed Forces Battle Casualties Welfare Fund (AFBCWF) at a function organised at the National War Memorial Complex in New Delhi on October 14, 2022.
- The AFBCWF is a Tri-Service fund, which is utilised for grant of immediate financial assistance to the families of soldiers/sailors/airmen who lay down their lives or get grievously injured in active military operations.
While the Government has initiated a large number of welfare schemes for the soldiers killed or disabled during active combat operations; there has been a strong public sentiment and requests from citizens, corporate heads, banks and industry captains to contribute to the cause of welfare of the soldiers and their families.
» The website will enable people to contribute online directly into the fund. A certificate of online contribution can also be downloaded.
» Indian actor Amitabh Bachchan is the ‘Goodwill Ambassador’ of the website on ‘Maa Bharati Ke Sapoot’.
LT Gen PS Bhagat Memorial Chair of Excellence Instituted at USI
⇒ On the 103rd birthday of late Lt Gen PS Bhagat, ex-Colonel Commandant of the Bombay Sappers and SIKH LI Regiment, the Indian Army has dedicated a Chair of Excellence in his memory at the United Service Institution of India (USI).
- The formal announcement of the establishment of the Chair of Excellence was made by Gen Manoj Pande, Chief of Army Staff, at a solemn ceremony organised at the USI of India, Delhi on 14 October 2022.
- During the ceremony, Rs 5 lakhs honourarium to the nominated Chair of Excellence was handed over to Maj Gen BK Sharma (retd), Director, USI.
- Late Lt Gen PS Bhagat who served as the first General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the re-raised Northern Command was an outstanding professional and a prolific writer.
- The Chair of Excellence is a befitting tribute to the astute leadership and professionalism of the General.
- Late Lt Gen PS Bhagat Memorial Chair of Excellence which is being established between 01st October to 30th September every year will focus on Emerging Defence Technology pertaining to the Armed Forces.
Inaugural Chair of Excellence:
The inaugural Chair of Excellence is being awarded to Maj Gen SG Pitre (Retd) to author a book on the “Legacy of Lt Gen Prem Bhagat: A visionary and Strategic Leader”.
» As part of the establishment of the Chair of Excellence, Gen VP Malik (Retd) has consented to deliver the inaugural edition of the annual Lt Gen PS Bhagat Memorial Lecture on 14 October 2023 to coincide with the birth of Lt Gen PS Bhagat.
6th East Asia Summit Education Minister’s Meeting
⇒ India participated at the 6th East Asia Summit Education Minister’s Meeting held on 14 October 2022 in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- The Sixth East Asia Summit Education Ministers Meeting (6th EAS EMM) was convened hybrid in Ha Noi, Viet Nam in conjunction with the 6th ASEAN Plus Three Education Ministers Meeting (6th APT EMM).
- The Meeting was chaired by H.E Nguyen Kim Son, Minister of Education and Training, of VietNam.
Ms. Neeta Prasad, Joint Secretary (International Cooperation) Ministry of Education virtually addressed the gathering and informed about the key initiatives of National Education Policy 2020 and India’s collaborative efforts in education and research with partner EAS countries.
- She also mentioned the recently-launched PM SHRI scheme under which more than 14,500 schools will be developed across India with all components of NEP 2020 as exemplar schools. These schools will offer mentorship to other schools in their vicinity.
- Smt Neeta Prasad underlined that NEP 2020 focuses on the internationalization of education and building collaborations with other countries. She added that India greatly values educational cooperation with EAS countries. She also emphasised India’s commitment to working with EAS member countries.
Next EAS EMM:
The 7th East Asia Summit Education Minister’s Meeting will be hosted by Thailand in 2024.