- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi released a commemorative coin of Rs 100 in honour of Smt Vijaya Raje Scindia on 12th October, 2020. Smt Vijaya Raje Scindia is popularly known as the Rajmata of Gwalior. The coin was released in celebration of birth centenary of Vijaya Raje Scindia.
- Tata Power will develop a 100 megawatt solar project in Dholera Solar Park of Gujarat. The energy will be supplied to GUVNL (Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam Ltd) under a power purchase agreement valid for 25 years from scheduled commercial operation date.
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar said on October 14, 2020, Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the STARS (Strengthening Teaching-Learning and Results for States) project on October 14.
This project is under the New Education Policy to support states in strengthening the school education system. The project will cover Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala and Odisha states. This centrally sponsored & World Bank-supported project is estimated to cost Rs 5,718 crore.
- First ever Virtual India International Jewellery Show was held on October 12, 2020. The show was organised by The Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council of India (GJEPC). Near about 350+ exhibitors showcasing their exquisite jewellery collections to over 10000+ visitors registered at the show.
- BRICS Labour & Employment Ministers’ Virtual Meeting was held on 10th October 2020. The BRICS Ministerial under meeting was held under Russian Presidency. This aimed to discuss various issues including approaches to creating a safe work culture in BRICS countries.
Shri Santosh Gangwar, Minister of State (I/C) for Labour & Employment said in the meeting, safety, health, welfare and improved working conditions are essential for well-being of the workers.
- International Day of the Girl observed every year on 11 October. UNICEF launched an annual campaign with girls to amplify their voices and stand up for their rights. This year’s theme was “My voice, our equal future”, seizing the opportunity to re-imagine a better world inspired by adolescent girls – energized and recognized, counted and invested in.
On this occasion, Films Division screened the animation and documentary films too amplify the voice of girls and those who are in the forefront of saving girl child from all kinds of exploitation.
It Includes:An animation film on saving the girl child, Chimukali – Save the girl child
On stopping female foeticide, documentaries Education – Only Her Future, Pratibha, Kuldeepak, My Fairy – My Strength and Roshini
- Indian Judo Team will be participating in the Grand Slam 2020 competition, an International Judo Federation (IJF) event, happening in Budapest, Hungary from 23rd to 26th October.
The five Indian judokas, consisting of two women and three men players are:
In Women’s Team- Sushila Devi from Manipur and Tulika Mann of Delhi
In Men’s Team- former Olympian Avtar Singh, TOPS developmental group athlete Jasleen Singh Saini and Vijay Yadav.
- Communist Party of India leader and former Bellampalli MLA Gunda Mallesh died in Hyderabad on October 13, 2020. He was 73.
- New Zealand cricket test player & former captain John R Reid passed away in Auckland on 14 Oct 2020. He was 92. He was regarded as one of the world’s best all-rounders during his heyday in the fifties and early sixties.
- Renowned Kuchipudi dancer Shobha Naidu died in Hyderabad on 14th October, 2020. She was 64. She received Padma Shri in 2001. She also received the numerous other awards like Nritya Choodamani award, Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, Nritya Kala Siromani award, NT Rama Rao award.