- The Monsson session 2020 of Parliament will begin from September 14, 2020. The fourth session of 17th Lok Sabha and 252nd Session of Rajya Sabha is scheduled to be held on 14th September, 2020 and subject to exigencies of Government Business, may conclude on 1st October, 2020.
- Harivansh Narayan Singh was re-elected as the Rajya Sabha deputy chairman, the vice-persident of India, M Venkaiah Naidu announced in the Upper House on 14 Sep 2020. Harivansh Narayan Singh was elected through a Voice Vote that was conducted on the first day of the Parliament Monsoon Session.
- The Vice President Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressed at the online launch of “Heartfulness All India Essay Writing Event” organized by Shri Ram Chandra Mission in partnership with the United Nations Information Center for India and Bhutan.
This event is held every year to commemorate the United Nations International Day of the Youth between the months of July and November.
It is a multi-lingual event with entries invited in English and Hindi at the national and state levels and in nine other Indian languages-Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Oriya, Punjabi, Tamil and Telugu.
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation three key projects related to the Petroleum sector in Bihar on 13 Sep 2020 via video conferencing.
The projects included:
- “Durgapur-Banka section of the Pipeline Project“- 193 km long- is a part of the Paradip-Haldia-Durgapur Pipeline Augmentation Project & built by IndianOil.
- IndianOil’s “LPG Bottling Plant” at Banka, Bihar– with the LPG storage capacity of 1800 MTs and bottling capacity of 40,000 cylinders per day.
- HPCL’s 120 TMTPA “LPG Bottling Plant” – at Harsidhi, East Champaran, Bihar
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare on 13 Sep 2020 interacted and answered questions posed by his social media followers on the “Sunday Samvad” platform.
These questions covered a multitude of queries concerning not only the current situation of COVID but also the government’s approach to it.
Science & Technology:
- Researchers at the Agharkar Research Institute, an autonomous institute of the Department of Science and Technology, Govt of India have found that the “Methane Hydrate Deposits” are located in the Krishna-Godavari basins are of biogenic origin. The study was conducted as a part of the DST-SERB young scientist project titled “Elucidating the community structure of methanogenic archaea in methane hydrate“. The study has been accepted for publishing in the journal “Marine genomics“.
- Institute of Pesticide Formulation Technology, under the Department of Chemicals & Petrochemicals, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers has successfully developed two new technologies namely “Disinfectant spray for surface application” and “Disinfectant spray for Vegetables & fruits.” The decontamination procedure is simple, vegetables or fruits are soaked in the diluted solution of this formulation for 15-20 minutes thereafter rinsed with fresh water. This simple procedure makes fruits and vegetables totally pesticide free.
- IT services company Infosys will acquire the Czech Republic-based GuideVision for up to €30 million (about ₹260.4 crore). The acquisition is being carried out by Infy Consulting Company Ltd, a step-down subsidiary of Infosys Ltd. The acquisition of GuideVision is expected to close during the third quarter of fiscal 2021.
- Dominic Thiem, 27, from Austria, won the first US Open tennis Grand Slam title against Alexander Zverev on 13 Sep 2020.
- Lewis Hamilton won chaotic Tuscan Grand Prix Formula One race at the Mugello Circuit in Italy on 13 Sep 2020. After winning the chaotic Tuscan Grand Prix Formula One race, Lewis Hamilton grabs his 90th victory.
- “Hindi Diwas” is celebrated every year on 14 September to promote Hindi. Film Division will stream five films to the historic occasion of adoption of Hindi as an official language. Five films on Hindi shall be available for 24 hours free.
The films being streamed are:
- Witness to our Constitution (Samvidhan Ke Sakshi) (1992) which depicts interesting aspects of the Constituent Assembly meeting and the decision to make Hindi an official language of India
- 14th September, 1949 (1991), a mock enactment of Constituent Assembly by children to recreate the historic event of adopting Hindi as National Language
- Bharat Ki Vaani (1990), a travelogue through different States to realize importance of Hindi
- Hamari Bhasha (2011), on Hindi as National Language which can unite the Country as one
- Hindi Ki Vikas Yatra (2000), a film on the growth and status of Hindi in India
- 11th September celebrated as National Forest Martyrs Day every year. It is observed to commemorate the Khejarli massacre at Khejarli village in Rajasthan.
- Veteran odia actor Ajit Das died in Bhubaneswar on 13 Sep 2020. He was 71.