Kalpana Chawla Centre for Research in Space Science & Technology
⇒ Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated Kalpana Chawla Centre for Research in Space Science & Technology (KCCRSST) at Chandigarh University on January 03, 2022.
- He also launched a Scholarship Scheme, worth Rs 10 crore, for the wards of Defence Personnel of the three Services.
» Established with the objective of training students in space science, satellite development and meet future challenges in space research, the state-of-the-art KCCRSST would be the Ground Control Station for the Chandigarh University’s Student Satellite (CUSat).
- Chandigarh University’s Student Satellite (CUSat) is an in-house developed nano-satellite being designed by the students of the university, and is a Geo-Spatial Centre for research besides other projects.
- The CUSat will be among the 75 student-built satellites to be launched into space on the eve of the 75thIndependence Day in 2022. The Chandigarh University has joined the list of 13 institutes like Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur, IIT Bombay and became the first university in North India to design and develop its own satellite.
- With the launch of CUSat, Punjab will become the first border state in India to have its own satellite in space.
- The launch of the university’s nanosatellite – CUSat will prove to be an important step for the country.
- It will collect data related to border intrusion detection, agriculture, weather forecasting, natural disaster forecasting, which will be helpful in research and study of various problems in these areas.
National Breed Conservation Award for 2021
⇒ The All India Co-ordinated Research Project (AICRP) on poultry breeding, Mannuthy, under the Kerala Veterinary and Animal Science University (KVASU), bagged the national breed conservation award for 2021.
The centre received the prestigious award from ICAR – The National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR) for the conservation and research activities on the Tellicherry breed, the only registered native chicken breed from the State.
The award was established by ICAR – NBAGR for their contribution towards conservation and improvement of registered Indian breeds of domestic livestock and poultry. The award carries a citation and a purse of Rs 10,000.
Smt Vimala V Pai Vishwa Konkani Sahitya Puraskar, 2021
⇒ The Konkani Bhas Ani Sanskriti Prathistan, World Konkani Centre, Mangaluru announced Smt Vimala V Pai Vishwa Konkani Sahitya Puraskar, annual literary awards for Konkani Literature, for the year 2021.
Best Konkani Book of the Year (Prose): Massam, a collection of Konkani short stories by Antony Barkur (Antony Prakash D’Souza)
Best Konkani Book of the Year (Poetry): Indradhonu Udeum, a collection of Konkani poems by Uday Narasinha Mhambro
» Suresh Jaywant Borkar was selected for the Vimala V Pai Vishwa Konkani Jeevan Siddhi Samman 2021 for his life-time contribution to Konkani language pedagogy, grammar and lexicography.
- The awards carry a prize money of ₹1 lakh each along with an award memento.
- World Konkani Centre was founded by Konkani Bhas Ani Sanskriti Prathistan, a premier Konkani organisation established in 1996.
- Under the leadership of Vishwa Konkani Sardar Basti Vaman Shenoy, has been relentlessly working towards preservation of Konkani language and culture since inception.
India's Next Permanent Representative (PR) to the UN Conference on Disarmament
⇒ Senior diplomat Dr Anupam Ray has been appointed as next Ambassador/Permanent Representative (PR) of India to the UN Conference on Disarmament in Geneva. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said in December 2021.
Ray, a 1994-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently serving as a joint secretary in the MEA’s headquarters in Delhi.
Fourth new member of the BRICS NDB
⇒ Egypt has been added as the fourth new member of the BRICS New Development Bank (NDB) in December 2021. India has welcomed Egypt as the fourth new member of BRICS New Development Bank.
- Earlier Bangladesh, UAE and Uruguay had joined in September 2021.
- NDB was established by BRICS nations, namely Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa and is headquartered in Shanghai. The bank formally opened in July 2015.
- The New Development Bank aims to mobilize resources for development projects in BRICS, emerging economies, and developing countries.
U19 Asia Cup title
⇒ India won their eighth U19 Asia Cup title at the Dubai International Stadium on 31 December 2021.
- India clinched the under-19 Asia cricket Cup by defeating Sri Lanka by 9 wickets in One-Day International final in Dubai through the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern (DLS) method.
The team also owns the record of having never lost a final.