2021 DST-ICTP-IMU Ramanujan Prize for Young Mathematicians from Developing Countries
⇒ Professor Neena Gupta, a mathematician at the Indian Statistical Institute in Kolkata, has been awarded the 2021 DST-ICTP-IMU Ramanujan Prize for Young Mathematicians from developing countries for her outstanding work in affine algebraic geometry and commutative algebra.
- Professor Gupta is the third woman to receive the Ramanujan Prize. The award was first awarded in 2005.
The award is administered by the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) jointly with the Department of Science and Technology (DST) Government of India and the International Mathematical Union (IMU).
About Ramanujan Prize:
- Ramanujan Prize is given annually to an eminent Mathematician who is less than 45 years of age on 31 December of the year of the award and has conducted outstanding research in developing countries.
- The Ramanujan Prize is given by the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste and is sponsored by the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Government of India.
⇒ NITI Aayog in partnership with Bharti Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Bharti Enterprises, launched Convoke 2021-22.
NITI Aayog in partnership with Bharti Foundation is organizing the National Research Symposium for Teachers and Heads of Schools – CONVOKE 2021-22.
- Convoke 2021 will be based on a webinar format.
The theme for the edition is ‘School Leadership for School Excellence’.
- Enabling the girl child through education
- Education in the times of the ‘new normal’
- School Excellence needs empowered principals
- School Leadership and equity
- School Excellence – use of research and technology
- Convoke is a National research Symposium which aims at addressing challenges in imparting education and strengthening its quality with special focus on all teachers, educationists, heads of schoolsacross India.
- Through this platform, School Teachers/ Heads/Principals of Government Schools and teachers from Bharti Foundation network will be encouraged to use research-based solutions through scientific approach, and showcase their efforts taken at the grass-root level in improving learning outcomes.
"Meghalayan Age" Store
⇒ Union Minister of Commerce & Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution and Textiles, Shri Piyush Goyal launched the “Meghalayan Age” store in New Delhi.
Shri Piyush Goyal stating that the Mulberry Silk of Meghalaya besides Shawls, Bamboo, Handicrafts and various other unique products of the Northeast will have a huge market not only for visitors from India but also from across the world.
- The store will provide the local artisans and more than 43,000 weavers of the state a window to showcase the rich culture, heritage, art and ethnic products of Meghalaya.
- The store will support the state’s cottage industry.
Summit for Democracy
⇒ The Summit for Democracy was a virtual summit hosted by the United States on December 9–10, 2021.
President Joe Biden convened world leaders in the first-ever Summit for Democracy, a gathering that spurred dialogue and initiated concrete action toward global democratic renewal. President Biden held the first of two Summits for Democracy.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi represented the world’s largest democracy at this Summit.
The Summit brought together more than 275 participants, representing governments, multilateral institutions, activists, journalists, parliamentarians, human rights defenders, mayors, business and labor leaders, and other actors essential to accountable, inclusive, and transparent governance and the rule of law.
The summit brought together leaders from government, civil society, and the private sector in our shared effort to set forth an affirmative agenda for democratic renewal and to tackle the greatest threats faced by democracies today through collective action.
Three themes of the Summit for Democracy:
- Strengthening democracy and defending against authoritarianism
- Fighting corruption
- Promoting respect for human rights
As part of the US Government’s commitment to advance the Summit’s goals:
President Biden announced the establishment of the Presidential Initiative for Democratic Renewal, a landmark set of new policy initiatives and foreign assistance programs that build upon the US government’s ongoing work to bolster democracy, fight corruption, and defend human rights worldwide.
16th UIC World Security Congress 2021
⇒ The 16th UIC (Union of International Railways) World Security Congress 2021 concluded on December 9, 2021.
Major themes discussed during the 16th UIC:
- Organization of security during major events
- Emerging threats to railway security
During the 2-day Congress, eminent speakers from countries such as India, Russia, Germany, France, Japan, South Africa, Poland, Slovakia and Ireland among others, as well as organisations like Europol participated in the deliberations.
» Mr. B Venkateshwar Rao (RPF, India) represented Research, Design and Standardisation Organisation, the Apex Research Institution of Indian Railways.
- He emphasised the crucial role of technology as a game changer in countering emerging threats like Information Warfare, Cyber Crimes, Natural Disasters, especially with reference to the spread of Covid-19.
- UIC has 194 members across 5 continents.
- Chairman of UIC Security Platform: Mr. Piotr Kurcz (PKP S.A., Poland)
- Vice Chairman: Mr. Sanjay Chander (DG, RPF, India)