Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Bill, 2021
- The Rajya Sabha has approved ‘Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Bill, 2021’ on 10 March 2021. The Lok Sabha was already passed the bill earlier. The legislation seeks to amend the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996.
The Act contains provisions to deal with domestic and international arbitration, and defines the law for conducting conciliation proceedings. The Bill replaces an Ordinance with the same provisions promulgated on 4th November, 2020.
National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second (Amendment) Bill, 2021
- The Lok Sabha approved the ‘National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second (Amendment) Bill, 2021’, on 10 March 2021. Rajya Sabha had already passed the bill earlier.
The legislation aims to amend the National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second Act, 2011. The 2011 Act was valid till 31st December last year. The Bill seeks to extend this deadline to till the end of December 2023. The 2011 Act provided for the regularisation of unauthorised colonies in the National Capital.
28th 'Hunar Haat'
- The 28th ‘Hunar Haat’ of indigenous products of artisans and craftsmen was organised at Kala Academy, Campal, Panaji (Goa) from 26th March to 04th April, 2021.
The Chief Minister of Goa Dr Pramod Sawant formally inaugurated the ‘Hunar Haat’ on 27th March, 2021.
The Union Ministry of Minority Affairs organised the ‘Hunar Haat’ in Goa with the theme of ‘Vocal for Local’.
In the Hunar Haat, more than 500 artisans and craftsmen from more than 30 states/UTs were participated.
India’s third lunar mission, Chandrayaan-3
- Union Minister of State, Jitendra Singh informed the Parliament on 24 March 2021. He said, India’s third lunar mission, Chandrayaan-3 is at an advanced stage of realisation & the mission is being planned for launch in 2022.
Re-establishment of the US-India Homeland Security Dialogue
- Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas spoke with India’s Ambassador to the US Taranjit Singh Sandhu on 22 March 2021.
After the meeting, Mayorkas and Sandhu agreed to re-establish the US-India Homeland Security Dialogue, and to discuss important issues such as cybersecurity, emerging technology and addressing violent extremism.
The Joe Biden administration has announced, Homeland Security Dialogue will be re-established between India & US.
19th United States Trade Representative
- Ms. Katherine C. Tai has been sworn as the 19th United States Trade Representative (USTR) on 18th March 2021. She is the first Asian American to serve as USTR Ambassador.
2nd Kumania GM Chess Tournament
- Young Indian Grandmaster Leon Luke Mendonca emerged victorious in the 2nd Kumania GM chess tournament in Hungary, which was concluded on 25 March 2021. He scored 6.5 points from nine rounds.
The 15-year-old Goa player, Leon was also the India’s 67th Grandmaster in December last.
World Theatre Day
- World Theatre Day is celebrated every year on 27 March. It was initiated in 1961 by International Theatre Institute ITI. World Theatre Day is celebrated to raise the importance of theatre arts.