- The Customs (Administration of Rules of Origin under Trade Agreements) Rules, 2020 (CAROTAR, 2020), has come into force from 21st September, 2020. It was notified on 21st August, 2020. CAROTAR, 2020 is implemented to protect the domestic industry from misuse of Free Trade Agreements.
The new Rules will support the importer to correctly ascertain the country of origin, properly claim the concessional duty and assist Customs authorities in smooth clearance of legitimate imports under Free Trade Agreements.
- National Jal Jeevan Mission in partnership with Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MEITY) has launched an ICT Grand Challenge. Application Start date is 15 September 2020 & last date to apply is 05 October 2020. The Indian Tech start-ups, MSMEs, Companies, LLPs registered in India under Companies Act can apply.
This aims to create innovative, modular, and cost-effective solution to develop a “Smart Water Supply Measurement and Monitoring System” to be deployed at the village level.
The Grand challenge will provide support at Stage-1 (Ideation to Prototype Stage), Stage-2 (Prototype to Product Stage), and Stage-3 (Product Deployment Stage).
- On 17th September, 2020, the Union Minister of State (IC) for Power & New and Renewable Energy Shri R K Singh inaugurated CSR (corporate social responsibility) projects via video conferencing in Barhara, Bhojpur District of Bihar. The project is undertaken by REC Ltd (Formerly Rural Electrification Corporation) worth Rupees 6.99 Crore.
This aims to improve and provide basic infrastructure & developmental facilities in the villages of Barhara, Bhojpur.
Important Parliamentary Bills:
- Rajya Sabha passed two bills by voice vote to set up the National Forensic Sciences University and the Rashtriya Raksha University on 22 September, 2020. Lok Sabha is already passed both the bills. The National Forensic Sciences University Bill seeks to upgrade the Gujarat Forensic Sciences University for the establishment of a National Forensic Sciences University.
- Rajya Sabha approved the Essential Commodities (Amendment) Bill by voice vote on 22 September, 2020. It was already approved by Lok Sabha on 15 September. The Bill is passed to remove cereals, pulses, oilseeds, edible oils, onion and potatoes from the list of essential commodities.
Business & Technology:
- Facebook has introduced Rights Manager for image. It aims to help creators and publishers protect and manage their image content at scale using image matching technology.
- This year Amazon will launch a low-bandwidth network “Sidewalk” in the US. It aims to help people connect smart devices within their neighborhood. The low-bandwidth network will use Bluetooth technology and radio signals.
- Nepali Everest climber Ang Rita Sherpa died on 21th September, 2020. He was 72. He was also known as “snow leopard”, for his record of summitting the world’s highest mountain a record 10 times without bottled oxygen.
- British-French actor Michael Edward Lonsdale died on September 21, 2020. He was 89. He was played the villain role in a popular James Bond Film Moonraker in 1979.
- Writer Abbas Melinamani died due to cardiac arrest on 22th September, 2020 in Chitradurga. He was a recipient of various literary awards including the Dr. Gorur Literary Award.