- On 24 Aug 2020, as a part of Digital India initiative, Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria Chief of the Air Staff launched a mobile application “MY IAF” at Air HQs Vayu Bhawan. The App is developed in association with Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC). The App will provide career related information and details for those desirous of joining the Indian Air Force.
- On 22 Aug 2020, Ministry of Tourism under Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series presented a webinar titled “Cultural heritage of Hyderabad”. This was the 50th session of this webinar series. This webinar showcased the culture of Hyderabad’s architecture, food, lifestyle and language especially in the old city. Ministry of Tourism initiated Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series since 14 April 2020 with an objective to create awareness about and promote various tourism destinations of India.
- On 24 Aug 2020, Regional Outreach Bureau (Maharashtra and Goa Region) and Press Information Bureau (Western Region) under the Union Ministry of Information & Broadcasting organized a webinar on “Faceless E-Assessment: Honouring the Honest“.
- On 24 Aug 2020, The Govt of India, the Government of Maharashtra, Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) signed a loan agreement for a $500 million Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III. The project aims to improve the network capacity, service quality and safety of the suburban railway system in Mumbai. The total estimated cost of the project is $997 million. Out of which $500 million will be financed by the AIIB & $310 million & $187 million by the Government of Maharashtra and by Ministry of Railways respectively.
- Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) has set up a 500 bed Covid Hospital with 125 ICU beds, ESIC Hospital at Bihta, Patna. Hospital inaugurated by Shri Nityanand Rai, Hon’ble Union Minister of State for Home Affairs on 24 Aug 2020. Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations (PM CARES) Trust has allotted amount for this hospital. Another such hospital will be set up in Muzaffarpur.
- On 24 Aug 2020, A five days “Executive Development Programme” organized online by National Sugar Institute, Kanpur, UP was virtually inaugurated by the Secretary, Food & Public Distribution, Shri Sudhanshu Pandey. He stressed upon converting sugar factories into a hub of bio-energy and other value-added products.
- On 24 August 2020, the Assam government inaugurated a 1.8-km-long ropeway over the Brahmaputra river, connecting Kachari Ghat,Guwahati to Dol Govinda Temple, North Guwahati. It will pass through Umananda Temple present in the middle of river on a small peacock island. Ropeway is built at a cost of Rs 56 crore. It has two cabins & each having capacity of 30 passenger with one operator.
- Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES), Nainital and Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University, Srinagar, Pauri Garhwal, Uttarakhand are planning to jointly organize the three day online international conference between 14 to 16 Sep 2020.
Conference will held on “Aerosol Air Quality, Climate Change & Impact on Water Resources and Livelihoods in the Greater Himalayas”.
The invited speakers are from different parts of the globe. Speakers will deliver lectures under the themes of: Growing air pollution over the Indo-Gangetic Plains and Central Gangetic Himalayan Region, Himalayan Glaciers, Climate Change impacts on Himalayan Glacier and monsoon over the Himalayas, Extreme events and so on.
Journal of Earth System Science (JESS) will publish the reviewed presentations on Thematic Issue entitled “Aerosols-Climate interaction and water resources over the Himalayas”.
- On 23 Aug 2020, Bayern Munich won the UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) Champions League for the sixth time at the Estadio da Luz after beating Paris Saint-Germain 1-0.
- On 21 Aug 2020, Ashwani Bhatia appointed as the managing director of State Bank of India till his superannuation date 31 May 2022. He will appointed in place of P K Gupta.
- Google launches wildfire mapping on Search and Maps. The new system will use satellite data to create a wildfire boundary map in close to real time & provides other important emergency information.
- Google has launched “Kormo Jobs: Find jobs & grow your career” app for job seekers in India. App provides search jobs, schedule interviews, free CV etc.
- “Gastric Cancer” book was released by Union Minister Jitendra Singh on 3-day virtual conference on oncology, organised on 21-22 Aug 2020. Book was edited by Ashok K Vaid. He is padma shri awarded oncologist.
- Publishing house Westland announced Author Chetan Bhagat upcoming fiction book titled “One Arranged Murder” will be relaeased on 28 Sep 2020. Chetan Bhagat’s last release was “The Girl in Room 105” in 2018.
- The 15,000-capacity stadium in Namchi, Sikkim, will be inaugurated after the COVID-19 pandemic subsides. This stadium is named after great Indian footballer Bhaichung Bhutia.
- The Global Magazine “CEO”, which is published in Sydney, Singapore. In the August-September edition of magazine published Hyderabad Metro Rail Managing Director N.V.S. Reddy has been featured as one of the top inspirational CEOs of South Asia. The magazine addressed Mr. reddy as “Transit Man”.
- Indian Coast Guard (ICG) launched a Interceptor Boat “ICGS C-454” on 19 Aug 2020. It is 27-meter-long boat has a maximum speed of 45 nautical miles or 83 kilometers per hour & built by Larsen and Toubro.
- On 20 Aug 2020, British bank HSBC launched a “green deposit” product to finance environmentally sustainable initiatives like renewable energy projects. Green deposit product available only to corporates and in a term deposit format.
- In Chhatarpur, Madhya Pradesh a unique campaign “Ek Sankalp – Bujurgo ke naam” is being run by the Police. Campaign shows commitment for elders. Under the campaign police are taking care of the necessities of the elderly people, ranging from the food to health care.