Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘Sarthak’
⇒ The indigenously built Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘Sarthak’ was commissioned and dedicated to the nation on October 28, 2021 at Goa by Director General of Indian Coast Guard K Natarajan.
- This will give a significant boost to the maritime safety and security of the nation.
ICGS Sarthak will be based at Porbandar in Gujarat and operate on India’s Western Seaboard under the Operational and Administrative Control of the Commander, Coast Guard Region (Northwest).
- ICGS Sarthak is 4th in the series of five OPVs being built by Goa Shipyard Limited for the ICG.
- The 105-meter-long ship displacing 2,450 tons is propelled by two 9,100-kilowatt diesel engines designed to attain a maximum speed of 26 knots.
- The ship is fitted with state-of-the-art equipment, machinery, sensors and weapons which enables it to function as a command platform.
AI Pe Charcha (AI Dialogue)
⇒ The National e Governance Division (NeGD) of the Ministry of Electronics and IT organised yet another AI Pe Charcha (AI Dialogue) on October 28, 2021.
The theme of AI Dialogue was “AI for Date Driven Governance”.
The aim of the session was to cover the importance of data driven and AI-enabled governance along with the global best practices.
About AI Pe Charcha:
- AI Pe Charcha is an initiative of the Ministry of Electronics & IT.
- AI Pe Charcha is a series of panel discussions, involving various global and domestic leaders from the Government and industry, researchers and academicians sharing their views & experiences around Artificial Intelligence.
- In the panel discussion, they also discuss the case studies related to artificial intelligence, global best practices, breakthrough innovations and the challenges faced in the field of Artificial Intelligence.
Investor Summit - “Opportunities and Partnerships in Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices”
⇒ Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare and Chemicals & Fertilizers Dr Mansukh Mandaviya inaugurated and addressed the Investor Summit – “Opportunities and Partnerships in Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices” on 27 October 2021.
The summit was organized by Department of Pharmaceuticals, in partnership with Invest India as part of the vision to further strengthen India’s position globally in terms of Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices.
The theme of the summit was “Opportunities and Partnerships in Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices”.
As regard the Pharmaceuticals sector:
The sessions featured discussions on opportunities in manufacturing of innovative products in bio-pharmaceuticals, including biologics/ bio-similars, cell & gene therapy and enhancing vaccine manufacturing capabilities.
As regards Medical Devices sector:
The sessions featured discussions on how India can develop as a land of opportunities for Medical Devices and the key learnings from the leading innovators.
Indian company Takachar wins Earthshot Prize
⇒ An India-based entrepreneurie’s technology that recycles agricultural waste to create fuel was named among the winners of ‘Prince William’s inaugural Earthshot Prize’.
- Vidyut Mohan led Takachar’s innovation was recognised for its affordable technology to convert crop residues into sellable bio-products.
- The technology reduced smoke emissions by 98 per cent, and calls for improving air quality.
- Vidyut Mohan from Takachar was awarded for this technology in the “Clean Our Air” category.
- It was among five other worldwide winners of the prize.
Other Category Winners:
» ‘Protect and Restore Nature’ Category: Republic of Costa Rica
» ‘Revive Our Oceans’ Category: ‘Coral Vita’
» ‘Build A Waste-Free World’ Category: The city of Milan, for its Food Waste Hubs program
» ‘Fix Our Climate’ Category: Aem Electrolyser
About Earthshot Prize:
- The Earthshot Prize is also called as “Eco Oscars”. Dubbed as the “Eco Oscars,” the prizes have been created by the Duke of Cambridge and renowned British naturalist David Attenborough.
- This award honors people trying to save the planet.
- The aim of the award is to provide assistance to and inspire innovative local solutions amid the growing climate crisis faced globally.
- Each year for the next 10 years, the Earthshot will be awarding £1m each to five projects that are working to find solutions to the planet’s environmental problems.
- Launched by Prince William and The Royal Foundation in October 2020, The Earthshot Prize is the most prestigious global environment prize in history.
- The first ever Earthshot Prize Awards ceremony was held at Alexandra Palace in London on October 17, 2021.
New Honorary MCC Life Membership
⇒ MCC has announced 18 New Honorary Life Members on 19 October 2021. MCC has awarded Honorary Life Membership to some of the finest cricketers and men and women associated with the game.
Harbhajan Singh and Javagal Srinath were awarded life membership of Marylebone Cricket Club. India’s Harbhajan Singh and Javagal Srinath were among 18 cricketers awarded life membership of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
Full list of Honorary MCC Life Membership:
» India: Harbhajan Singh and Javagal Srinath
» South African: Hashim Amla, Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Kallis and Morne Morkel
» West Indies: Ian Bishop, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Ramnaresh Sarwan
» England: Alastair Cook, Ian Bell, Marcus Trescothick and Sarah Taylor
» Australia: Alex Blackwell and Damien Martyn
» Sri Lanka: Rangana Herath
» New Zealand: Sara McGlashan
» Zimbabwe: Grant Flower
- The MCC, based at Lord’s, is the custodian of cricket laws.