- The Supreme Court Collegium, headed by Chief Justice of India S A Bobde has approved the proposal for appointment of three Additional Judges of Gauhati High Court as Permanent Judges.
Chief Justice of India S A Bobde, recommended Justice Manish Choudhury, Additional Judge of Gauhati High Court, Justices Sanjay Kumar Medhi and Nani Tagia as Permanent Judges of Gauhati High Court.
- Union Minister of State for Agriculture, Shri Parshottam Rupala launched “Ayushma Sahakar” Scheme on 19th October, 2020. Union Minister announced that NCDC would extend term loans to prospective cooperatives to the tune of Rs.10,000 Crore in the coming years.
This is a unique scheme to assist cooperatives play an important role in creation of healthcare infrastructure in the country formulated by the apex autonomous development finance institution under the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC).
Ayushman Sahakar specifically covers establishment, modernization, expansion, repairs, renovation of hospital and healthcare and education infrastructure encompassing:
Hospitals and/ or Medical/ AYUSH/ Dental/ Nursing/ Pharmacy/ Paramedical/ Physiotherapy Colleges for running UG and /or PG programmes; Yoga Wellness Centre; Ayurveda, Allopathy, Unani, Siddha, Homeopathy and other traditional medicine healthcare centres; Health care services for elderly; Palliative care services; Health care services for Persons with Disabilities; Mental healthcare services; Emergency Medical Services / Trauma Centre; Physiotherapy centre; etc.
- The Eighth Edition of joint annual Indian Navy (IN) & Sri Lanka Navy (SLN) bilateral maritime exercise ‘SLINEX-20’ was held off, in Trincomalee, Sri Lanka from 19 to 21 October 2020.
SLINEX-20 aims to enhance inter-operability, improve mutual understanding and exchange best practices and procedures for multi-faceted maritime operations between both navies.
The Sri Lanka Navy was represented by SLN Ships Sayura and Gajabahu led by Rear Admiral Bandara Jayathilaka, the Flag Officer Commanding Naval Fleet, Sri Lanka Navy.
Indigenously built anti-submarine warfare corvettes Kamorta and Kiltan under the command of Rear Admiral Sanjay Vatsayan, Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet, was represented the Indian Navy.
- Chennai birder and wildlife photographer ‘Sambath Subbaiah’ wins Natural History Museum, London’s prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year award, in the Birds Behaviour category.
He got the prize in adult category, for his Photo “that shows the eagle bird and snake with their eyes interlocked, moments before strike”.
- Aishwarya Sridhar becomes first Indian woman to win Wildlife Photographer of the Year award on October 13 at the Natural History Museum in London. It was the 56th year of the prestigious award.
She got the prize for the image named “Lights of passion” in Behaviour Invertebrates category (Adult Category).
- Batsman Tanmay Srivastava announced retirement from all forms of cricket on 24 October 2020.
He was part of India’s Under-19 World Cup winning team in Malaysia in 2008. He played 90 first-class matches and scored 4,918 runs, with 10 centuries and 27 fifties, is to his name.
- Former Maharashtra minister and senior Congress leader Vinayakdada Patil died in Nashik following a brief illness. He was 77.
- Former director of the Asian Development Bank and founder trustee of the National Agro Foundation (NAF) K.S. Subramanian passed away in R.A. Puram on October 24, 2020. He was 83. He was also the former Indian Railways Accounts Service officer.