Seminar on “Safe Use of Chemicals at Workplace”
⇒ Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilisers, and Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya chaired a seminar on “Safe Use of Chemicals at Workplace” on 27 July 2022.
The seminar was organized by Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals (DCPC) and International Labour Organisation (ILO).
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed in presence of Union Minister Dr. Mandaviya between DCPC and ILO for adopting the International Chemical Safety Cards (ICSCs).
About International Chemical Safety Cards (ICSCs):
- The International Chemical Safety Cards (ICSCs) are data sheets intended to provide essential safety and health information on chemicals concisely.
- The primary aim of the Cards is to promote the safe use of chemicals in the workplace.
- The main users are workers and those responsible for occupational safety and health.
- The International Chemical Safety Cards (ICSCs) will be used by the department to disseminate the appropriate hazard information on chemicals at the workplace in a comprehensible and easy manner.
- To date, 1784 Chemicals Safety Cards are available.
- The ICSCs are developed by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Labour Organisation (ILO) with cooperation of the European Commission and are regularly updated to take account of the latest scientific developments.
- These cards are helpful for dissemination of the appropriate hazard information on chemicals to industry associations to promote safe use of chemicals in the workplace.
Fleet Evening 2022
⇒ The annual awards function of the Western Fleet (WF)- Fleet Evening 2022, or ‘FLING’, over the past year, was held at Naval Dockyard, Mumbai on 24 July 2022.
- Fleet Evening 2022, or ‘FLING’ is popularly called, commemorating the accomplishments of the ‘Sword Arm’ of the Indian Navy.
» The FLING 22 showcased a stunning entertainment programme created completely by the in-house talent of the Western Fleet and their families.
In the Fleet award ceremony, a total of 21 trophies, representing varied dimensions of maritime operations were awarded to meritorious ships.
- These include INS Chennai – Best Ship, INS Talwar – Most Spirited Ship and INS Aditya – Best Ship in Tankers & OPVs category.
» All awards recognised overall excellence and valuable contribution of individual ships and the gallant crew, who have maintained constant vigil in service to the Nation.
- The Fleet expanded its footprint into the Red Sea, western edges of Persian Gulf, Deep Water Channel in Gujarat, to Andamans & Nicobar Islands. These deployments included Mission Based Deployments, Anti-Narcotics missions, Presence cum Surveillance missions, as also EEZ surveillance.
- The WF ships extensively participated in Maritime Partnership Exercises and numerous bilateral exercises across IOR and beyond, including Konkan with Royal Navy, Varuna with French Navy and PASSEX with Royal Navy’s Queen Elizabeth Carrier strike group.
ONGC signs MoU with Greenko
⇒ Energy major Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) on 26 July 2022 signed a MoU with M/s Greenko ZeroC Private Limited (Greenko), to jointly pursue opportunities in Renewables, Green Hydrogen, Green Ammonia and other derivatives of green hydrogen. The Memorandum of Understanding is valid for two years.
- Greenko is one of India’s leading renewable energy Companies.
- This MoU is in line with the National Hydrogen Mission launched by Hon’ble Prime Minister in making India a global green hydrogen hub.
- The activities envisaged under this MoU will contribute towards India’s target of producing of 5 million tonnes of Green hydrogen per annum by 2030.
- This MoU will also act as a stepping stone for ONGC to achieve renewable energy targets as per its Energy Strategy 2040.
Italy edition of the Incredible India Reconnect 2022
⇒ India’s diverse and unique tourism products were at display on 26th July, 2022 with the Italy edition of the Incredible India Reconnect 2022 virtual roadshow.
The Incredible India Reconnect 2022 Virtual Roadshow began with opening remarks from Dr. Neena Malhotra, Ambassador of India to Italy.
- She highlighted the importance of efforts such as this in reigniting the tourism and travel interest between Indian and Italy – given the rich commonalities between history, culture, and civilization.
» The virtual roadshow was a signal of the continuing efforts of the Ministry of Tourism to encourage bilateral tourism by recognising the issues, challenges, and opportunities between India. Its top 20 source markets, sowing seeds for new ideas and relationships for a brighter future for Indian tourism.
- As India opens its borders post-pandemic, the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India has been organising a series of virtual roadshows in collaboration with Indian Missions abroad to reconnect with and welcome back partners in the international travel and tourism industry.
- As much as it is aimed to be an update on Indian tourism, it is also an initiative to rediscover old ties and explore new opportunities for the future.
2022 UEFA European Women's Football Championship
⇒ The 2022 UEFA European Women’s Football Championship, also known as UEFA Women’s Euro 2022, was held from 6 July to 31 July 2022.
- It was the 13th edition of the UEFA Women’s Championship and was organised by UEFA for the women’s national teams of Europe. The tournament was hosted by England.
The UEFA Women’s Euro 2022 final match was played between England and Germany on 31 July 2022 at Wembley Stadium in London, England.
Hosts England won their first UEFA Women’s Championship title by beating Germany 2–1 after extra time in the final.
- Defending champions Netherlands, who won UEFA Women’s Euro 2017 as hosts, were eliminated in the quarter-finals by France.
Kargil Vijay Diwas
⇒ Kargil Vijay Diwas is celebrated on July 26 every year to celebrate India’s victory over Pakistan in the Kargil war in 1999.
The Nation paid tributes to the bravehearts of the Kargil war on the 23rd anniversary of India’s historic victory in 1999.
Padma Shri awardee, Dr. Sushovan Bandyopadhyay
⇒ Padma Shri awardee, Dr. Sushovan Bandyopadhyay, known as ‘One Rupee Doctor,’ passed away on 26 July 2022. He was 80.
Sushovan was fondly known as ‘Ek Takar Daktar’. Based in Bolpur, Birbhum district, Banerjee was known for treating patients for nearly 60 years at Re 1 per visit.
In 2020, Sushovan Banerjee was conferred with the Padma Shri for his contribution in the field of medicine. In the same year, his name found place in the Guinness World Records for treating the maximum number of patients.
Banerjee is also a former MLA from Bolpur. In 1984, he had contested on a Congress ticket and won the election from Bolpur.