National Workshop on Localization of Sustainable Development Goals (LSDGs)
⇒ A two-day National Workshop on Localization of Sustainable Development Goals (LSDGs) in Panchayats through Thematic Approaches on Theme 6 – Village with Self-Sufficient Infrastructure was organized at Chandigarh, Punjab during 22nd – 23rd August, 2022.
The National Workshop was inaugurated by Shri Kapil Moreshwar Patil, Union Minister of State for Panchayati Raj and Shri Kuldeep Singh Dhaliwal, Minister of Rural Development & Panchayat, Punjab at Mohali, Punjab on 22 August 2022.
Vision of the Theme 6:
Self-Sufficient Infrastructure Gram – Panchayat is to achieve Self Sufficient Infrastructure and ensure access for all to adequate, safe and affordable housing and basic services. Infrastructure is crucial for development. The theme focuses on to provide support and create an enabling environment at GP level for better service delivery in the areas of roads, streetlights, drinking water, schools, health, sanitation, common service centre etc.
- About 1,300 Elected Representatives of Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) from across the country attended the two-day workshop.
» On the occasion, Shri Kapil Moreshwar Patil released the SDG’s Anthem and Booklet and launched a Prime App and PSRLM website.
About National Workshop:
- In the National Workshop, States and Union Territories demonstrated and shared their experiences and innovative models, strategies, approaches to institutionalize Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at grassroots levels in different themes.
- The main objective of the National Workshop was to exhibit the exemplary strategies, approaches, convergent actions and innovative models in context to capacity building & training; best practices; monitoring framework, incentivization and reflection of themes of SDGs into Gram Panchayat Development Plan (GPDP).
- The National workshop provided a platform for the peer learning of Panchayats on various models to institutionalize the process of LSDGs through the lens thematic approach at grassroots level.
Ministry of Panchayati Raj is anchoring the process of Localization of Sustainable Development Goals (LSDGs) in Panchayats / Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs).
Ministry of Panchayati Raj has adopted a thematic approach for Localization of Sustainable Development Goals (LSDGs) at the grassroots level through empowering Panchayats and other relevant stakeholders in Rural Areas.
Following are the themes for Localization of Sustainable Development Goals:
- Theme 1: Poverty Free and Enhanced Livelihoods in Village
- Theme 2: Healthy Village
- Theme 3: Child-Friendly Village
- Theme 4: Water Sufficient Village
- Theme 5: Clean and Green Village
- Theme 6: Village with Self-Sufficient Infrastructure
- Theme 7: Socially Secured and Socially Just Village
- Theme 8: Village with Good Governance
- Theme 9: Women Friendly Village
The main focus of the revamped Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan (RGSA) is to equip the Elected Representatives and Functionaries of the PRIs with adequate knowledge and skills for effective delivery on the SDGs through adopting thematic approaches of LSDGs.
Panchayat plays a pivotal role in different developmental challenges like poverty, public health, nutrition, education, gender, sanitation, drinking water, livelihood generation etc which are sync with SDGs. Hence, Panchayats are identified as key player in localization of SDGs adopting the 9 thematic approaches for good governance.
Bhopal Campus of the National Forensic Science University
⇒ Union Home and Cooperation Minister Shri Amit Shah performed the ‘Bhoomi Pujan’ of the Bhopal Campus of the National Forensic Science University on 22 August 2022.
- Shri Amit Shah also inaugurated and laid foundation stones of the residential and administrative buildings of Madhya Pradesh Police.
About Bhopal Campus of the National Forensic Science University:
- To meet the lack of trained manpower in forensic science to keep the police two steps ahead of criminals, the Bhumi Pujan of the National Forensic Science University that is going to be built on a 27-acre campus has been held.
- About Rs 58 crore will be spent for the National Forensic Science University.
- This will provide an opportunity to the youth of Madhya Pradesh to work in forensics at the national and international level.
SKOCH Award to Southern Railway Ticketing Data Centre
⇒ Southern Railway Ticketing Data Centre has won the silver award under SKOCH excellence in governance awards under the category of governance that covers the best efforts in digital, financial and social inclusion for the year 2022.
- The second entry of Southern Railway to SKOCH, the Ticketing Peripherals Management System (TPMS) application, has received the Order of Merit SKOCH certificate in the innovation in governance category.
- Southern Railway Ticketing Data Centre, commissioned in September 2021, caters to the passenger reservation system (PRS), unreserved ticketing system (UTS) and the mobile ticketing system over Southern, South Western and South-Central Railways.
- TPMS is a mobile web-based application for lifecycle management of thousands of PRS/UTS peripherals and data communication equipment.
India ranks 3rd at 15th International Astronomy & Astrophysics Olympiad
⇒ The 15th International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics (IOAA) 2022 held in Kutaisi, Georgia, from 14 to 21 August, 2022.
India secured the third rank in medal tally at the 15th International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics. India held the third position jointly with Singapore with students winning three gold and two silver medals.
- This year’s competition was originally scheduled to be held in Kyiv, Ukraine; it was shifted to Kutaisi, Georgia in March 2022 due to the war in Ukraine.
- In the medals tally India was placed jointly in the third position along with Singapore, behind Iran’s official team (5 golds) and guest team (4 golds, 1 silver).
- In all, 28 gold, 38 silver and 55 bronze medals were awarded at this IOAA.
» Raghav Goyal won a special prize for the best solution to the most challenging theoretical question.
Details of the Individual performance:
Loan agreement between ADB and GoI
⇒ The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India on 22 August 2022 signed a $96.3-million loan agreement to provide safe drinking water and improve water supply and sanitation services in the state of Himachal Pradesh.
Himachal Pradesh Rural Drinking Water Improvement and Livelihood Project is aligned with the objectives of the Government of India’s Jal Jeevan Mission which aims to provide piped water to all rural households by 2024.
- It will upgrade water supply infrastructure and strengthen institutional capacity to ensure safe, sustainable, and inclusive rural water supply and sanitation services.
ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. Established in 1966, it is owned by 68 members-49 from the region.