Multiple Projects at Sabar Dairy in Sabarkantha
⇒ The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of multiple projects worth more than Rs 1,000 at Sabar Dairy at Gadhoda Chowki, Sabarkantha, Gujarat on 28 July 2022.
- These projects will empower local farmers and milk producers and increase their income. The Prime Minister felicitated beneficiaries of Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme and top women milk producers.
Details of the Projects:
» The Prime Minister inaugurated the Powder Plant at Sabar Dairy with a capacity of around 120 metric tonnes per day (MTPD).
- The total cost of the entire project is more than Rs 300 crores.
- The layout of the plant meets global food safety standards. It is highly energy efficient with almost zero emission. The plant is equipped with the latest and fully automated bulk packing line.
» The Prime Minister also inaugurated the Aseptic Milk Packaging Plant at Sabar Dairy.
- It is a state-of-the-art plant having capacity of 3 Lakh Litre per day.
- The project has been executed with a total investment of around Rs 125 crores.
- The plant has the latest automation system with highly energy efficient and environment friendly technology. The project will help ensure better remuneration to milk producers.
» The Prime Minister also laid the foundation stone of the Sabar Cheese & Whey Drying Plant Project.
- The estimated outlay of the project is around Rs 600 crores.
- The Plant will manufacture Cheddar Cheese (20 MTPD), Mozzarella Cheese (10 MTPD) and Processed Cheese (16 MTPD).
- Whey generated during manufacturing of cheese shall also be dried at Whey Drying Plant, having capacity of 40 MTPD.
» Sabar Dairy is a part of Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), which makes and markets a whole range of milk and milk products under the Amul brand.
Governor of West Bengal
⇒ Shri La Ganesan took oath as the new governor of West Bengal following the resignation of Jagdeep Dhankhar. Shri La Ganesan has assumed charge of the office of the Governor of West Bengal on 18th July, 2022.
He was administered the oath of office by Chief Justice of Calcutta high court Prakash Shrivastava in the presence of chief minister Mamata Banerjee, other state ministers and Speaker Biman Banerjee.
- Ganesan, who is also the governor of Manipur, has been given the additional charge of West Bengal.
APJ Award 2022
⇒ Dr Tessy Thomas, Scientist and Director General (Aero Systems) at Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), also known as India’s missile woman, has been awarded with the APJ Award 2022.
- She was selected for the award for her role in developing indigenous missile systems.
- Dr. Tessy Thomas is the first woman scientist to head India’s missile programme.
- The selection committee, headed by AP Majeed Khan, Chancellor of Noorul Islam University in association with NINS Medicity, announced the award.
- Governor Arif Mohammed Khan on 19 July 2022 presented the APJ Award instituted by Noorul Islam University to Tessy Thomas, scientist and Director General, Aeronautical Systems, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). The award was given away at a function held at the NIMS Medicity auditorium.
- The award comprises of a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh, a certificate of appreciation and a commemorative trophy.
Ethics officer and Ombudsman of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
⇒ Former Supreme Court judge Vineet Saran has taken over as the BCCI’s ethics officer and ombudsman in July 2022.
- Saran has succeeded Justice (Retd) D K Jain, whose term ended in June last year.
- Saran, 65, is a former Chief Justice of Odisha High Court, and also served as a judge in Karnataka and Allahabad High Court.
World Hepatitis Day 2022
⇒ World Hepatitis Day is observed each year on 28 July to raise awareness of viral hepatitis, which causes inflammation of the liver that leads to severe disease and liver cancer.
World Hepatitis Day is an opportunity to step up national and international efforts on hepatitis, encourage actions and engagement by individuals, partners and the public and highlight the need for a greater global response as outlined in the WHO’s Global hepatitis report of 2017.
The theme of World Hepatitis Day 2022 was “Bringing hepatitis care closer to you”, aimed to simplify hepatitis care and to take hepatitis care to primary health care centers and community locations, and to take hepatitis care beyond the confines of major hospitals.
- On World Hepatitis Day 2022, WHO highlighted the need for bringing hepatitis care closer to the primary health facilities and communities so that people have better access to treatment and care, no matter what type of hepatitis they may have.
- During the celebration of World Hepatitis Day, Union Health Minister of India Dr Mansukh Mandaviya exhorted states to launch Jan Abhiyaan with ‘Log Bhaagidari’ (people’s participation) to enthuse and engage citizens and communities to ensure a Hepatitis Free India.
- Initially observed on May 19, World Hepatitis Day was moved to July 28 in 2010.
- The World Hepatitis Alliance was founded in the year 2007, and in 2008, the first community-organised World Hepatitis Day was observed.
- The date of 28 July was chosen because it is the birthday of Nobel-prize winning scientist Dr Baruch Blumberg, who discovered hepatitis B virus (HBV) and developed a diagnostic test and vaccine for the virus.
WHO aims to achieve hepatitis elimination by 2030. To get there, WHO calls on countries to achieve specific targets:
- Reduce new infections of hepatitis B and C by 90%;
- Reduce hepatitis related deaths from liver cirrhosis and cancer by 65%;
- Ensure that at least 90% of people with hepatitis B and C virus are diagnosed; and
- At least 80% of those eligible receive appropriate treatment.
Noted artist Achuthan Kudallur
⇒ Noted artist Achuthan Kudallur passed away on July 18, 2022 at a hospital in Chennai. He was 77.
He was the recipient of several awards including the National Academy Award in 1988 and Tamil Nadu Lalit Kala Akademi Award in 1982.
His journey as an artist began in Kudallur in Palakkad district in Kerala, where he was born in 1945. He became famous for his distinctive abstract style.