- On 6th Foundation Day of “Association of Renewable Energy Agencies of States (AREAS)” i.e. 27 Aug 2020, Shri R.K. Singh, Union Minister of Power and New & Renewable Energy and the ex-officio Patron of Association of Renewable Energy Agencies of States launched AREAS website “www.areas.org.in” and Telephone Directory of AREAS.
- “Poshan Maah” organised by Ministry of Women and Child Development will be celebrated in the month of September 2020.
- On 29 Aug 2020, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi shall inaugurate the College and Administration Buildings of Rani Lakshmi Bai Central Agricultural University, Jhansi via video conferencing.
- On 28 Aug 2020, Union Minister for Electronics and Information Technology Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad launched “Chunauti”- Next Generation Startup Challenge Contest. This contest is to boost startups and software products with special focus on Tier-II towns of India. Aim of this programme is to identify around 300 startups working in identified areas and provide them seed fund of upto Rs 25 Lakh and other facilities.
- On 28 Aug 2020, The 14th India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue (DPD) was held between India & Singapore. Defence Policy Dialogue was co-chaired by defence secretary “Dr Ajay Kumar” & Permanent Secretary (Defence), Singapore “Mr Chan Heng Kee”. The Implementing Arrangement on Humanitarian Assistance & Disaster Relief between India and Singapore was also signed.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) is a National Mission for Financial Inclusion has completed six years of successful implementation. Achievements have been announced on the 6th Anniversary of PMJDY, as on 19th Aug 2020:
- As on 19th Aug 2020, Number of Total PMJDY Accounts: 40.35 Crore; Rural PMJDY accounts: 63.6%, Women PMJDY accounts: 55.2%
- In Aug 2020, out of total 40.35 crore PMJDY accounts, 34.81 crore (86.3%) are operative
- Total deposit balances under PMJDY Accounts stand at Rs. 1.31 lakh crore
- Total RuPay cards issued to PMJDY account holders: 29.75 Crore
- Malayalam film 1956, Madhyathiruvithamkoor (1956, Central Travancore), directed by Don Palathara & Malayalam film Biriyaani directed by Sajin Baabu, both has been chosen for screening at the 42nd edition of the Moscow International Film Festival. MIFF will be held from 1 Oct to 8 Oct 2020. Earlier, Malayalam film Biriyaani was screened at the 20th Asiatica Film Festival in Rome, Italy & movie wins the NETPAC award.
- Ms. Sudha Painuli selected for “National Award to Teachers 2020″. Ms. Sudha Painuli is Vice Principal of Eklavya Model Residential School (EMRS) Kalsi, Dehradun, Uttarakhand. Eklavya Model Residential Schools was established under Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
Business & Technology:
- Amazon announced a new fitness brand and subscription service “Halo“. It has innovative feature to scan your body and voice, using your camera to create 3D scan for body fat and listening for the emotion in your voice.
- ICICI Bank has sold 2 per cent stake in its subsidiary firm ICICI Securities Ltd through an open market transaction for Rs 310 crore.
- Prof. Rao Tatavarti has developed an indigenous photonic system Air Unique-quality Monitoring (AUM) for Real-Time Remote Monitoring of Air Quality parameters. Prof. Rao developed this with the support of Prof. P. Arulmozhivarman and other team members & technology transfer partner for commercialization of system was CATS Eco-Systems, Nashik. Prof. Rao Tatavarti is the Director of Gayatri Vidya Parishad-Scientific and Industrial Research Centre & GVP College of Engineering, Visakhapatnam & Prof. P. Arulmozhivarman from the School of Electrical Engineering, VIT University, Vellore.
- MP of Kanyakumari H Vasanthakumar died on 28 Aug 2020. He was 70. He was also Working President of the Tamil Nadu Congress Committee.
- American Animator, writer, producer “Joseph Clemens Ruby” (Joe Ruby) died in California on 26 Aug 2020. He was 87. He was the co-creator of the popular cartoon series Scooby-Doo.
- Former All India Radio (AIR) station director Indu Bai Ramesh died due to coronavirus at Bengaluru on 26 Aug 2020. She was 83 years.
- Track and field coach Purushotham Rai died due to heart attack on 28 Aug 2020. He was 79. He was selected for National Sports Award 2020, few days ago under the lifetime category of Dronacharya Award.
- On 28 Aug 2020, Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced that he will resign because of health problem.
- On 25 Aug 2020, reusable N-95 equivalent mask “US9” virtually launched by U Safe Healthcare at Indian Institute Technology, Hyderabad. “U Safe Healthcare” is a startup promoted by the Centre for Healthcare Entrepreneurship.
- Kochi Global Industrial Finance and Trade (GIFT) city will be developed as an early bird project under Kochi-Bengaluru industrial corridor & the project has received approval from National Industrial Corridor Development and Implementation Trust (NICDIT).