- On 27 Aug 2020, Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh launched the “Directorate General National Cadet Corps (DGNCC) Mobile Training App”. Aim of this app is to provide NCC cadets entire training material (syllabus, precis, training videos and frequently asked questions) on one platform. This app will help to conduct countrywide online training of NCC cadets.
- Department of Science and Technology & the Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser has initiated process for the formulation of a new India’s 5th national Science, Technology, and Innovation policy, STIP 2020. To make the policy true to its essence, Dr Harsh Vardhan, Minister of Science and Technology inaugurated “In Conversation with” initiative on 28 August 2020. “In Conversation with” is a series of exclusive interactions with thought leaders from across the country to share their ideas and vision for the policy and the nation’s Science, Technology and Innovation ecosystem, at large. During the inauguration Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Minister of Science and Technology will be in first conversation with Prof. Ashutosh Sharma, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology.
- Ministry of Civil Aviation has approved 78 new routes under the 4th round of Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) – Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (UDAN). Agatti, Kavaratti and Minicoy islands of Lakshadweep are also listed in these 78 new routes connected under UDAN 4.0. Priority has been given in the approval process of new route in North Eastern Region, Hilly States and Islands.
- The Textiles Committee, under the Union Ministry of Textiles conducted an awareness Webinar titled “Meeting Challenges of PPE Export Market”. Aim of the webinar was to educating the exporters and the domestic PPE industry by giving them a broad overview about the various regulations of other countries.
- On 27 Aug 2020, Commerce and Industry Minister Shri Piyush Goyal Addressing the ASEAN–India Business Council virtual meet. He said that 3Cs- Cooperation, Collaboration and Commitment, will guide the strategic partnership between India and ASEAN countries.
- On 27 Aug 2020, Commerce and Industry Minister Shri Piyush Goyal held virtual meeting with the industry ministers of states, UT administrators and senior officers of the central and State Governments & he e-launched the National GIS-enabled Land Bank system. Project was launched for six states. The system is being developed by integration of Industrial Information System (IIS) with State GIS Systems.
- On 27 Aug 2020, Union Minister of Textiles and Women & Child Development Smt Smriti Zubin Irani announced winners of Textile Grand Challenge 2019. Textile Grand Challenge 2019 was organized by the Ministry of Textiles with the active support of National Jute Board and the Start up India Team of the Department for Promotion of Industry & Industrial Trade. The selected/winners Start Ups are:
- M/s Awega Green Technologies, Pune
- M/s Dhriti BioSolutions, Mysuru
- M/s Sakthi NonWovens, Chennai
Books & Award:
- 20 years old Neelakanta Bhanu Prakash from Hyderabad won gold in Mental Calculation World Championship 2020 at Mind Sports Olympiad held in London. This was India’s first-ever gold in Mental Calculation World Championship.
- The 29 years Old Dutch author Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, author of “The Discomfort of Evening” (“visceral and virtuosic” debut novel) won International Booker Prize for the year 2020.
- Book “Parveen Babi: A Life” a biography on Parveen Babi’s life written by film journalist Karishma Upadhyay.
Business & Technology:
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved acquisition of compulsorily convertible preference shares and equity of Nxtra Data Limited by Comfort Investments II. Comfort Investments II is created for the purposes of the proposed transaction & incorporated in Mauritius. It is owned and controlled by the Carlyle Group Inc. Nxtra Data and unlisted entity is a fully owned subsidiary of Bharti Airtel Limited.
- The Chief executive of the Chinese video app TikTok, Kevin Mayer resigns on 26 Aug 2020.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited is set to launch Internet protocol television (IPTV) services on trials basis for two months in Kerala circle from 27 August 2020.
- Former judge of the Supreme Court and ex-chairman of the law commission of India Justice A R Lakshmanan died because of heart attack at Tiruchirappalli on 26 Aug 2020. He was 78.
- 48 years old, Indian Leg-spinner Pravin Tambe became the first Indian cricketer to play in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) on 26 Aug 2020. He will make a debut from Trinbago Knight Riders side.
- The Singapore Food Festival 2020 going to held virtual during 28 to 30 August 2020. Theme of SFF 2020 is “Rediscover the Foodie in You“.