New Water Management and Policy Centre, AquaMAP
⇒ The Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India, inaugurated the new water management and policy centre, AquaMAP, at IIT Madras on March 19, 2022.
- AquaMAP is a national water centre and IIT Madras is collaborating with IIT Dharwad around the broad theme of ‘Data Science for Water Security and Agriculture Sustenance’.
AquaMAP aims at providing solutions for complex and challenging water problems by designing and evolving smart and optimal water management practices and implementing them in the field, at different locations across the country, as a scalable model by leveraging best practices in management and innovative technologies.
The key activities of AquaMAP include:
- Field (in villages and towns) implementation of water technologies and management practices
- Identify grand challenges in water/wastewater management for focused attention
- Set up of a state-of-the-art Hydro-Informatics Laboratory
Book titled “A Brief History of Science in India”
⇒ Union Minister of State (I/C) Science & Technology; Minister of State (I/C) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh addressed at a book launch event at Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi titled “A Brief History of Science in India” on 21 March 2022.
- The book is written by Shri Sabareesh PA, PHD Scholar, JNU.
“Aksha’ – Lessons from India”
⇒ The Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr Mansukh Mandaviya delivered the keynote address at “Aksha’ – Lessons from India” on 21 March 2022, an event organized by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF).
Country Heads and Representatives from Development Partners such as WHO, UNICEF, UNDP, USAID, ADB and BMGF were present at the meet.
The event was organized to take key lessons and share experiences and best practices from India’s COVID management and vaccination journey.
Chief Minister of Manipur
⇒ BJP leader, Nongthombam Biren Singh was sworn in as the chief minister of Manipur for the second consecutive term on 21 March 2022. The oath of office was administered by Manipur Governor La Ganesan at the Raj Bhawan in Imphal.
In the Manipur Assembly election, the BJP secured an absolute majority by winning 32 seats in the 60-member House.
2nd India-Australia Virtual Summit
⇒ Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and Prime Minister of Australia Mr. Scott Morrison held the second India-Australia Virtual Summit on 21 March 2022.
During the summit, they reviewed the multi-faceted relationship between the two countries and exchanged views on regional and global developments.
- Both the leaders expressed satisfaction at the progress made under the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership established during the 1st Virtual Summit in June 2020.
Documents announced/signed during India-Australia Virtual Summit:
- Announced the establishment of an annual Summit between India and Australia.
- Announced the establishment of General Rawat India-Australia Young Defence Officers’ Exchange Programme.
- Announced the return of artefacts by Government of Australia.
- An MoU has been signed between Khanij Bidesh India Ltd. (KABIL), India and Critical Minerals Facilitation Office (CMFO), Australia on Co-Investment in Australian Critical Minerals Projects.
- Letter of Intent has been signed regarding Migration and Mobility Partnership Agreement.
- Letter of Arrangement has been signed between India and Australia for Educational Qualifications Recognition.
- An MoU has been signed between Prasar Bharati, India and Special Broadcasting Service (SBS), Australia for cooperation and collaboration on broadcasting.
- Matching funds announced:
» Matching funds as Australia of the amount of AUD 10 million for Pacific Island Countries under Infrastructure for Resilient Island States (IRIS)
» Matching funds as Australia of the amount of AUD 10 million for Pacific Island Countries under International Solar Alliance (ISA)
MoU between Prasar Bharati and Special Broadcasting Service
⇒ India’s public broadcaster Prasar Bharati has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Special Broadcasting Service (SBS), Australia’s public service broadcaster on 21 March 2022, to boost co-operation in the field of broadcasting.
- This will expand the reach of DD News, DD India and multiple language services of DD News amongst the Indian Diaspora in Australia.
- Through this MoU, the two broadcasters will explore opportunities in co-production and joint broadcasting of programmes spanning across multiple genres.
- They will also exchange programmes (Radio and Television content) in the fields of culture, education, science, entertainment, sports, news, travel, music and arts.
- Both public broadcasters will also exchange professionals and organise their training to share knowledge on technical knowhow and programme production, etc.
All England Open Badminton Championships 2022
⇒ The All England Open Badminton Championships 2022 took place at the Utilita Arena Birmingham in Birmingham, England, from 16 to 20 March 2022.
- The 2022 All England Open was the fifth tournament of the 2022 BWF World Tour. The tournament was organized by Badminton England.
- The All England Open Badminton Championship has been organized since 1899.
- Winner: Viktor Axelsen (Denmark)
- Runner up: Lakshya Sen (India)
- Winner: An Se-young (South Korea)
- Runner up: Akane Yamaguchi (Japan)