Chief Minister of Maharashtra
⇒ Shiv Sena Rebel leader Eknath Shinde was on 30 June 2022 sworn in as the 20th chief minister of Maharashtra, while BJP stalwart Devendra Fadnavis took oath as the deputy chief minister.
- Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari administered the oath of office to Shinde and his deputy Fadnavis at the Raj Bhavan in South Mumbai.
‘Udyami Bharat’ Programme
⇒ Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi participated in the ‘Udyami Bharat’ programme at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi on 30th June, 2022.
» During the event, Prime Minister launched the ‘Raising and Accelerating MSME Performance’ (RAMP) scheme, ‘Capacity Building of First-Time MSME Exporters’ (CBFTE) scheme and new features of the ‘Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme’ (PMEGP).
- He also digitally transferred assistance to beneficiaries of PMEGP for 2022-23; announced results of the MSME Idea Hackathon, 2022; distributed National MSME Awards, 2022; and issued Digital Equity Certificates to 75 MSMEs in the Self-Reliant India (SRI) Fund.
Background of the Programme:
» ‘Udyami Bharat’ is reflective of the continuous commitment of the government, right from day one, to work towards the empowerment of MSMEs.
- The government has launched several initiatives from time to time like MUDRA Yojana, Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme, Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries etc to provide necessary and timely support to the MSME sector, which has helped benefit crores of people across the country.
» Prime Minister launched the ‘Raising and Accelerating MSME Performance’ (RAMP) scheme, with an outlay of around Rs 6000 crore.
- It aims to scale up the implementation capacity and coverage of MSMEs in the States, with impact enhancement of existing MSME schemes.
- It will complement the Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan by fostering innovation, encouraging ideation, incubating new business and entrepreneurship by developing quality standards, improving practices and processes, enhancing market access, deploying technological tools and Industry 4.0 to make MSMEs competitive and self-reliant.
» Prime Minister launched the ‘Capacity Building of First-Time MSME Exporters’ (CBFTE) scheme, which aims to encourage MSMEs to offer products and services of international standards for the global market.
- This will enhance the participation of Indian MSMEs in the global value chain and help them realise their export potential.
» Prime Minister also launched new features of the ‘Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme’ (PMEGP).
- These include increase in the maximum project cost to Rs 50 lakhs (from Rs 25 lakhs) for manufacturing sector and Rs 20 lakhs (from Rs 10 lakhs) in the service sector and inclusion of applicants from Aspirational districts & Transgenders in the Special Category applicants for availing higher subsidies.
- Also, handholding support is being provided to applicants/entrepreneurs through the engagement of banking, technical & marketing experts.
» During the event the PM announced the results of the MSME Idea Hackathon, 2022.
- Launched on 10th March, 2022, this Hackathon was aimed at promoting and supporting the untapped creativity of individuals, promoting adoption of latest technologies and innovation among MSMEs.
- The selected incubatee ideas will be provided funding support of up to Rs.15 lakhs per approved idea.
» Prime Minister also distributed the National MSME Awards 2022.
- The award is a recognition of the contributions of MSMEs, States/UTs, Aspirational Districts and Banks for their outstanding performance in the growth and development of India’s dynamic MSME sector.
Assessment of States/UTs based on implementation of BRAP 2020
⇒ Smt Nirmala Sitharaman, Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, announced the assessment of States/UTs under BRAP (Business Reforms Action Plan) 2020, the 5th edition of the BRAP exercise in New Delhi on 30 June 2022.
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of NITI Aayog
⇒ Former Drinking Water and Sanitation Secretary Parameswaran Iyer has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of NITI Aayog.
- Iyer has been appointed for a term of two years until further orders, whichever is earlier. Iyer’s tenure began when the current CEO Amitabh Kant’s tenure ended on June 30, 2022.
A 1981-batch IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, Mr Iyer has worked with both the public and private sectors. He was Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation in New Delhi during 2016–20.
Intelligence Bureau Chief
⇒ The Government of India has appointed Senior IPS officer Tapan Kumar Deka as the Intelligence Bureau Chief. He is a 1988 batch officer from the Himachal Pradesh cadre.
He replaced Arvind Kumar, whose extended tenure ended on June 30. Deka, who was handling the operations wing of the IB, took over as the new chief for two years.
» The tenure of Samant Goel, who has been heading the Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW), has been extended by one more year.
- Goel, a 1984-barch Punjab cadre IPS officer, will continue to head the RAW till June 30 next year.
» The government had also appointed Punjab DGP Dinkar Gupta as the new Director General of the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
New CBDT Chairman
⇒ The government has appointed Nitin Gupta as Chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- Gupta is an Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer of the 1986 batch of the Income Tax cadre.
- Earlier, he was serving as the Member (investigation) in the Board and is scheduled to retire in September next year.
» The CBDT is headed by a Chairman and can have six members who are in the rank of special secretary. It is the administrative body for the Income Tax department.
Title Sponsor for Hyderabad Marathon
⇒ India’s mining major National Mineral Development Corporation Ltd. (NMDC) has partnered with Hyderabad Runners Society for the Hyderabad Marathon held on August 27 and 28, 2022. This was the 11th edition of Hyderabad Marathon.
- NMDC has become the title sponsor for Hyderabad Marathon this year onwards.