The Union Minister Education, Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan released the India Rankings 2022 of higher educational institutes on 15 July 2022. India Rankings 2022 is ranking of higher educational institutions on performance. This is the seventh consecutive edition of India Rankings of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in India.
» India Rankings was instituted by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF).
- The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), launched in November 2015 by the Ministry of Education, was used for this edition as well as for the past six editions of India Rankings released for the years 2016 to 2022.
Five broad categories of parameters identified in the NIRF and their weightage on scale of 10 are given below:
Each of these five parameters have 2 to 5 sub-parameters. A total number of 18 – 21 sub-parameters are used for ranking of HEIs in different categories and subject domains. Institutions are ranked based on total sum of marks assigned for each of these five broad groups of parameters.
In addition to parameters used for Overall category, the following two additional sub-parameters were included in methodology developed afresh for ranking institutions under “Research Institutions”:
- Research Papers published in journals covered in the First Quartile of Journal Citation Report (JCRQ1)
- H Index.
11 Categories for Ranking:
India Rankings 2022 has been released for all the premiere institutions across India in their respective categories— Overall, Universities, Engineering, Management, College, Pharmacy, Medical, Architecture, Law, Dental and Research institutions.
Increase in Number of Applicants for India Rankings from 2016 to 2022:
- A total number of 4,786 unique institutions offered themselves for ranking under “Overall”, category-specific and / or domain-specific rankings for India Rankings 2022.
- Number of unique applicants to India Rankings have increased from 2,426 in 2016 to 4,786 in 2022 whereas total number of applications for ranking in various categories have increased from 3,565 in 2016, to 7,254 in 2022.
Increase in Number of Institutions Ranked in India Rankings from 2016 to 2022:
- While 100 institutions are ranked in Overall, Universities and Colleges categories, number of institutions that are being ranked in Engineering has been increased to 200 from 2019 onwards.
- Moreover, number of institutions ranked in Management and Pharmacy are being increased from 75 to100 each from this year onwards.
- However, number of institutions ranked are restricted between 30 and 50 in subject domains namely Architecture, Law, Medical, Dental as well as in Research Institutions.
Key Highlights of India Rankings 2022:
Overall Category & Engineering Category:
Indian Institute of Technology Madras retains its 1st position in Overall Category for fourth consecutive year and in Engineering for seventh consecutive year.
- Top 100 in Overall category consists of 40 CFTIs and CFU (including 38 technical institutions), 26 state universities, 24 deemed universities, 6 private universities, 7 medical institutions and 3 management institutions.
Universities Category & Research Institutions Category:
Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru tops the Universities Category for seventh consecutive year. It stood first in Research Institutions Category for second consecutive year.
IIM Ahmedabad tops in Management subject retaining its first position for third consecutive year.
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi occupies the top slot in Medical for the fifth consecutive year. Moreover, AIIMS is ranked at 9th position in Overall category for the first time.
Jamia Hamdard tops the ranking in Pharmacy for fourth consecutive year.
Miranda House retains the 1st position amongst Colleges for the sixth consecutive year.
IIT Roorkee stands at 1st position in Architecture subject for second consecutive year.
The Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences takes the top slot for the first time in Dental Subject displacing Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal.
National Law School of India University, Bengaluru retains its first position in Law for the fifth consecutive year.
- Colleges in Delhi dominate ranking of colleges with five colleges out of first 10 colleges from Delhi.
Top 5 Institutions in the Overall Category: India Rankings 2022
|Ranks||Higher Education Institutions|
|1||Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai|
|2||Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru|
|3||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai|
|4||Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi|
|5||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Kanpur|