Union Education Minister, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ approved the release of Performance Grading Index (PGI) 2019-20 for States and Union Territories of India on 06 June 2021.
The PGI 2019-20 for States and Union Territories of India has been released by Department of School Education and Literacy (DoSEL), Ministry of Education. The PGI for States/UTs for 2019-20 is the third publication.
The PGI for States and Union Territories was first published in 2019 with reference year 2017-18.
The Government has introduced the Performance Grading Index with a set of 70 parameters to catalyse transformational change in the field of school education.
The PGI is structured in two categories, namely, Outcomes and Governance & Management and comprises 70 indicators in aggregate with a total weightage of 1000.
The information on the indicators is drawn from data available from the Unified District Information System for Education Plus, National Achievement Survey of National Council of Educational Research and Training, Mid-Day Meal website, Public Financial Management System and the Shagun portal.
PGI includes four domains:
- Category 1- Domain 2: Access
- Category 1- Domain 3: Infrastructure & Facilities
- Category 1- Domain 4: Equity
- Category 2- Domain 1: Governance processes
Some Key Points of the PGI 2019-20:
- For the first time, 5 States and UTs have crossed the threshold of 90% PGI score and reached Grade I++. Punjab, Chandigarh, Tamil Nadu, Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Kerala occupy the highest grade (Grade I++) for 2019-20.
- A total of 33 States and UTs have improved their total PGI score in 2019-20 as compared to 2018-19.
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Puducherry, Punjab and Tamil Nadu have improved overall PGI score by 10%, i.e., 100 or more points.
- PGI score for Ladakh (UT) have been computed for the first time in 2019-20.
Top Five States/UTs with PGI Score:
- Punjab- 929
- Chandigarh- 912
- Tamil Nadu- 906
- Kerala- 901
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands- 901
Bottom Five States/UTs with PGI Score:
- Ladakh- 545
- Meghalaya- 649
- Nagaland- 667
- Arunachal Pradesh- 698
- Chhattisgarh- 700
PGI Domain-wise performance analysis:
Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep and Punjab have shown improvement by 10% (8 points) or more.
- Infrastructure and Facilities:
As many as 13 States and UTs have shown improvement by 10% (15 points) or more. Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Odisha have shown improvement by 20% or more.
Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Odisha have shown more than 10% improvement.
- Governance Process:
19 States and UTs have shown improvement by 10% (36 points) or more. Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Punjab, Rajasthan and West Bengal have shown improvement by at least 20% (72 points or more).