The President of India, Smt Droupadi Murmu, presented the Swachh Survekshan Awards 2022 (SS 2022) at a function held in New Delhi on October 1, 2022.
- India celebrated 8 years of Swachh Bharat Mission and the first anniversary of SBM-Urban 2.0 in grand style.
- The President Droupadi Murmu felicitated the awardees of the cleanest States and cities at the award ceremony of Azadi@75 Swachh Survekshan 2022, hosted as part of Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban 2.0 by Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs at Talkatora Stadium, New Delhi.
- The award ceremony was organized to recognize the good work done for Swachhata by towns/ cities, States and Union Territories under Swachh Survekshan 2022.
- The day was marked the first anniversary of launch of the Swachh Bharat Mission – Urban 2.0 by Hon’ble Prime Minister on 1st Oct 2021, with its aspirational vision of creating Garbage Free cities.
Key Points of Swachh Survekshan Awards 2022:
» The ‘Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban 2.0’ was launched with the aim to make all cities garbage-free by 2026.
» This year’s survey with a “People First” theme captured unprecedented number of citizen feedback this year – over 9 crores, a marked increase from last year’s 5 crores. 4,355 cities participated in this year’s survey.
» During the award ceremony, certifications for Garbage Free Star rating for cities – saw more than 160 awards under various categories was given away.
» In all, 22 States and 5 UTs received awards, of whom 8 States received more than 10 awards each.
- 8 States and 5 UTs have shown improvements ranging between 5 – 25% in their overall ground level performance over last year.
- Of them, 4 out the 8 North Eastern states have shown significant improvement in the overall performance over the last year.
» Moreover, 10 Cantonment Boards (against 7 CBs last year) and 2 Ganga towns received awards.
» A heartening feature of the awards was that smaller cities with population of less than 25,000 have performed admirably in the survey, with 40 of them received awards.
Important Award Winners of Swachh Survekshan Awards 2022:
The President formally released the Swachh Survekshan 2022 dashboard and gave away the top 12 awards.
» In an impressive display of sustainability and good governance, Indore, the city of lakes and palaces, walked away with the Cleanest City title for the sixth consecutive year, in the ‘more than 1 lakh population’ category.
- While Surat was adjudged the second cleanest city, for the second time in a row. Navi Mumbai bagged the third spot.
» In the population category of ‘less than 1 lakh’, Panchgani and Karad from Maharashtra bagged the first and third positions respectively, while Patan from Chhattisgarh bagged the second position.
» Tirupati received the best city award in Safai Mitra Suraksha while Haridwar in Uttarakhand received the award for the best Ganga town in more than one lakh population cities.
» Shivamogga in Karnataka received the fast mover city award.
» Indore further cemented its position by emerging as India’s first 7-star Garbage Free city, while Surat, Bhopal, Mysuru, Navi Mumbai, Vishakhapatnam, and Tirupati earned 5-star Garbage Free certifications.
» Madhya Pradesh emerged as the ‘Cleanest State’ in the category of “more than 100 Urban Local Bodies”, relegating Chhattisgarh, the Cleanest State of the previous 3 years, to second place.
- Maharashtra emerged as third cleanest State.
» Similarly, Tripura emerged as the Cleanest State award in the “less than 100 ULBs category”, dislodging Jharkhand, which had won in the last 2 consecutive years.
- Jharkhand and Uttarakhand received the second and third spots respectively.