New generation ballistic missile ‘Agni P’
⇒ Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully tested the new generation nuclear capable ballistic missile ‘Agni P’ from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam island off the coast of Odisha on December 18, 2021.
Various telemetry, radar, electro-optical stations and down range ships positioned along the eastern coast tracked and monitored the missile trajectory and parameters. The missile followed text book trajectory meeting all mission objectives with high level of accuracy.
- The Agni P is a two-stage canisterised solid propellant ballistic missile with dual redundant navigation and guidance system.
This second flight-test has proven the reliable performance of all the advanced technologies integrated into the system.
⇒ Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of Ganga Expressway in Shahjahanpur, Uttar Pradesh on 18 December, 2021.
About Ganga Expressway:
- The 594 Km long six-lane Expressway will be built at a cost of over Rs 36,200 crore.
- Starting near the Bijauli village in Meerut, the Expressway will extend till near the Judapur Dandu village in Prayagraj.
- The Expressway will pass through 12 districts of UP. It will pass through Meerut, Hapur, Bulandshahr, Amroha, Sambhal, Budaun, Shahjahanpur, Hardoi, Unnao, RaeBareli, Pratapgarh and Prayagraj.
- A 3.5 Km long air strip for assisting emergency take-off and landing of Air Force planes will also be constructed on the Expressway in Shahjahanpur.
- Upon completion of work, it will become the longest expressway of Uttar Pradesh, connecting the western and eastern regions of the state.
Golden Peacock Environment Management Award 2021
⇒ The Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL), under the Ministry of Steel has been awarded with the prestigious Golden Peacock Environment Management Award for the year 2021 in the Steel Sector by the Institute of Directors.
- SAIL has been the winner of this award for successive three years.
- This bears testimony to the efforts made by the Company for sustainable and environmentally responsible steel making.
33rd Moortidevi Award for the year 2019
⇒ The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressed the 33rd Moortidevi Award Ceremony organized by Bhartiya Jnanpith at Sahitya Akademi Auditorium in New Delhi on 18 December 2021.
The Vice President presented the 33rd Moortidevi Samman for the year 2019 to the eminent Hindi author, Shri Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari for his autobiography “Asti Aur Bhavati”.
‘Asti Aur Bhavati’ is an autobiographical journey of Tiwari which captures the historical, philosophical and cultural aspects at different temporal settings thus igniting life in subjects like changing values and also changes in societal and cultural landscapes. His journey thus reflects the life of the common man of his time.
- Moortidevi Award, presented annually, is presented for a contemplative and perceptive work which expresses, underlines and illumines human values written in any Indian languages or English.
- The award consists of a Saraswati Statue, a Citation Plaque and Cash Award of Rupees Four lacs.
TSPL received the letter of award (LoA) from MSEDCL
⇒ Tata Power Company’s wholly owned subsidiary TP Saurya (TSPL) received the letter of award (LoA) from Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company (MSEDCL) for setting up of 300 MW hybrid power capacity.
This project has been awarded through tariff-based competitive bidding followed by e-reverse auction in December 2021. The project will be commissioned within 18 months from the date of PPA execution.
With this, the total renewable capacity of Tata Power will reach 4907MW with an installed capacity of 2953MW and 1954MW under implementation.
Mormugao, Indian Navy's second indigenous stealth destroyer of the P15B class
⇒ Mormugao, Indian Navy’s second indigenous stealth destroyer of the P15B class, planned to be commissioned in mid-2022, proceeded on her maiden sea sortie on 19 December 2021.
Mormugao is being built at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDSL) as part of the Project 15B destroyers.
The ship incorporates several niche indigenous technologies and is a shining example of Atma Nirbhar Bharat. Mormugao will add significantly to the Indian Navy’s combat capabilities.
Good Governance Week
⇒ The Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG), Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions in collaboration with Ministry of External Affairs, Department of Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Department of Personnel & Training, Department of Pensions and Pensioners’ Welfare and Ministry of Panchayati Raj and Rural Development celebrated Good Governance Week on 20-25th December as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebration.
- On December 25th, 2021, “Good Governance Day” was celebrated.
Good Governance Day (Sushasan Divas) is celebrated every year in India on 25 December.
The objective of Good Governance Day is to create awareness among the citizens of the country about accountability in the government.
This day is celebrated as the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.The day was first celebrated in 2014 when Vajpayee along with Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya were conferred with the highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna, posthumously.
Theme of Good Governance Week:
The theme of Good Governance Week was “Prashasan Gaon Ki Aur”- a Nation-wide campaign for Redressal of Public Grievances and Improving Service Delivery, held in all Districts, States, and Union Territories of India.
- During the week, the Department of Personnel and Training organized a Workshop on the theme “Mission Karmayogi-The Path Ahead” on 23rd December, 2021.
- The “Prashasan Gaon Ki Aur” campaign during the Good Governance Week created a National Movement for good governance and inspired the future generations.
- The objective was to translate the vision of the Prime Minister for Next Generation Administrative Reforms during the Amrit Kaal period across all Districts and Tehsils of India.
2021 Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships
⇒ The 2021 Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships was held in Tashkent, Uzbekistan from 7 to 17 December 2021. The Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships also serve as a qualifying event for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
In Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships 2021, India won 16 medals including 4 Gold, 7 Silver and 5 Bronze.