Two National Awards to Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank
⇒ Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB) sponsored by Canara Bank has bagged two national awards (‘APY Big Believers’ and ‘Leadership capital’) from Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) for significant enrolment under Atal Pension Yojana (APY).
P Gopi Krishna, Chairman of KVGB, who received the awards from Supratim Bandopadhyay, Chairman of PFRDA in a summit at Chennai.
So far, the bank has enrolled (cumulative) 2.30 lakh accounts under APY. During 2020-21, the bank enrolled 68,961 accounts against the target of 38,160.
KVGB is playing a pivotal role in implementing all the three social security schemes (PMJJBY, PMSBY and APY) launched by the Central government.
Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) solution by C-DOT
⇒ Shri K. Rajaraman, Secretary (T) and Chairman – Digital Communications Commission, Department of Telecommunications, Government of India, visited Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) Delhi Campus. He reviewed the R&D projects being developed by C-DOT.
- Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) is the the premier Telecom R&D centre of the Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of Communications, Government of India.
During the visit:
» Shri K. Rajaraman inaugurated the Quantum Communication Lab at C-DOT, Delhi.
» He also unveiled the indigenously developed Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) solution by C-DOT which can support a distance of more than 100 kilometers on standard optical fiber.
» Development of indigenous QKD solution is essential to address the threat that rapid advancement in Quantum Computing poses to the security of the data being transported by various critical sectors through the current communication networks.
» With the development of QKD solution and the existing suite of wide range of products in Optical Access, Core, Switching & Routing, Wireless, Post Quantum Cryptography Encryptors (PQCE) etc:
- C-DOT has become the first organization in India to offer complete portfolio of indigenous Quantum Secure telecom products & solutions to comprehensively address the requirements of Telecom Service Providers as well as Strategic and Defense sector in India.
About Quantum Technologies:
- Quantum Technologies can broadly be divided into four verticals viz- Quantum Computing, Quantum Communications, Quantum Sensors and Quantum Materials.
- Quantum Technologies are based upon phenomena exhibited by microscopic particles (like photons, electrons, atoms etc.) which are quite distinct from the way normal macroscopic objects behave.
- Behavior of these microscopic particles can’t be described by Classical (or Conventional) Physics based on Newtonian Mechanics, and consequently Quantum Mechanics came into picture, around 100 years back, to formulate theory to describe such behavior.
- One of the most quoted such phenomena is the “Photoelectric effect” for which Einstein was awarded the Noble Prize in Physics in the Year 1921.
- Quantum Mechanics is probabilistic in contrast to Classical Mechanics which is deterministic.
CEO of Ola Cars
⇒ Ola, India’s largest mobility platform, announced Ola Cars, its new vehicle commerce platform that will provide a dramatically better vehicle purchase and ownership experience to consumers.
Ola Cars will enable consumers to purchase both new and pre-owned vehicles through the Ola App. Starting with 30 cities, Ola Cars will soon scale up to over 100 cities by next year.
CEO of Ola Cars:
The company has also announced the appointment of former Amazon India and Reliance Trends executive Arun Sirdeshmukh as Chief Executive Officer of Ola Cars.
Second Phase of Multilateral Maritime Exercise Malabar
⇒ The Indian Navy (IN) participated in the Second Phase of Multilateral Maritime Exercise Malabar along with the Japan Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF), Royal Australian Navy (RAN) and the United States Navy (USN).
- The exercise was conducted in the Bay of Bengal from 12-15 October 2021.
- The 25th edition of MALABAR was conducted in two phases.
The first Phase of the exercise was conducted in the Philippines Sea from 26-29 August 2021.
» The Indian Navy participated with INS Ranvijay, INS Satpura, P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft and a Submarine.
» The US Navy was represented by the Aircraft Carrier USS Carl Vinson along with two destroyers, USS Lake Champlain and USS Stockdale.
» The JMSDF was represented by JS Kaga and JS Murasame.
» The Royal Australian Navy was represented by HMAS Ballarat and HMAS Sirius.
About Second Phase of the Exercise:
- The Second Phase of the exercise was based on the synergy, coordination and inter-operability developed during the First Phase of the exercise.
- The Second Phase focused on advanced surface and anti-submarine warfare exercises, seamanship evolutions and weapon firings.
The Malabar series of exercises, which began as an annual bilateral naval exercise between India and the US in 1992, has seen increasing scope and complexity over the years.
New Prime Minister of Norway
⇒ Mr Jonas Gahr Store of the Labour Party assumed the office of Prime Minister of Norway on 14 October 2021. He is the 36th Prime Minister of Norway.
2021 World Wrestling Championships
⇒ The 2021 World Wrestling Championships was held in Oslo, Norway from 2 to 10 October 2021. It was the 17th edition of the World Wrestling Championships organized by United World Wrestling.
Indian Medal Winners:
India won a total of 2 medals which included a silver and a bronze.
Anshu Malik won the silver medal in the 57kg weight category of women’s freestyle.
Sarita Mor won the bronze medal in the 59kg weight category of women’s freestyle.
Delhi Hockey Weekend League 2021-22
⇒ Union Minister of Youth Affairs & Sports Shri Anurag Singh Thakur launched the ‘Delhi Hockey Weekend League 2021-22′ which is taking place at the iconic Major Dhyanchand National Stadium on 10 October 2021.
The Hockey League is being organized by the Sports Authority of India (SAI) in association with the Delhi Hockey Federation.
The Hockey League will have a total of 36 teams competing for the trophy and more teams can also participate in later stages. The event started on October 10 and over every weekend 4 matches will be played.
First match of the league was played between Delhi University’s Shyam Lal College and the Faith Club (an independent hockey club).
Jagran Group Chairman, Yogendra Mohan
⇒ Jagran group chairman Yogendra Mohan passed away on 15 October 2021 in Kanpur. He was 83.