- The first edition of National Startup Awards released by Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry, Shri Piyush Goyal on 6th October, 2020, at the National Media Centre, New Delhi.
The first edition of the Awards invited applications across 12 sectors. These 12 sectors are Agriculture, Education, Enterprise Technology, Energy, Finance, Food, Health, Industry 4.0, Space, Security, Tourism and Urban Services. These 12 sectors were further sub-classified into a total of 35 categories. National Startup Awards 2020 List
- On 09th October, 2020, new generation Anti Radiation Missile “RUDRAM” was successfully Flight tested onto a radiation target located on Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha. It was launched from SU-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
This is the first indigenous anti-radiation missile of the country for Indian Air Force (IAF). The missile has been developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The third edition of the 2+2 dialogue between India and the US is expected to be held in Delhi, India on October 26 and 27 during which both sides are likely to carry out a comprehensive review of their strategic cooperation.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defence Secretary Defence Secretary Mark Esper will visit to India for the dialogue. External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will represent the dialogue from Indian side.
Nobel Peace Prize 2020:
- The Norwegian Nobel Committee has awarded the Nobel Peace Prize 2020 to the World Food Programme (WFP) on 09th October, 2020.
WFP got the award “for its efforts to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict”.
- The United Nations designated the first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day. This year World Habitat Day celebrated on 05th October, 2020. The theme of World Habitat Day 2020: Housing For All – A Better Urban Future.
World Habitat Day aims to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all too adequate shelter.
- World Post Day 2020 is celebrated on 9th October 2020 across the world. This year theme of the World Post Day 2020 is “We Have Always Delivered”.
This marks the anniversary of the establishment of Universal Postal Union (UPU). UPU was established in 1874. It is also aims to express gratitude towards the workers of the postal industry and their services.
- Former Judge as well as acting Chief Justice (CJ) of the Gujarat High Court, Anant S. Dave died in Ahmedabad on 05 October 2020 after a prolonged illness. He was 62.
- The founder of Sujatha Biotech, C K Rajkumar died in Chennai on 07th October, 2020. He was 67.
- Former judge of the Kerala High Court and ex-chairperson of the Admission Supervisory Committee for Self-Financing Professional Colleges, Justice P A Muhammed died due to age-related ailments on 08th October, 2020. He was 83.