India’s first-ever "Night Sky Sanctuary"
⇒ Union Minister of State (I/C) Science & Technology; Minister of State (I/C) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh met with Lt. Governor Ladakh R.K Mathur on 03 September 2022 at the national capital.
After the meeting Union Minister informed that:
» In a unique and first-of-its-kind initiative, the Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India, has undertaken to set up India’s first-ever “Night Sky Sanctuary” in Ladakh which will be completed within next three months.
- The proposed Dark Sky Reserve will be located at Hanle in Ladakh as a part of Changthang Wildlife Sanctuary. It will boost Astro tourism in India and will be one of the world’s highest-located sites for optical, infra-red, and gamma-ray telescopes.
A tripartite MoU was signed recently among the UT administration, Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC) Leh and the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) for launching the Dark Space Reserve.
‘Swasth Sabal Bharat’ Conclave
⇒ Dr Mansukh Mandaviya, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare virtually inaugurated the ‘Swasth Sabal Bharat’ Conclave on 03 August 2022.
- The purpose of the conclave was to discuss the present situation of body-organ-eye donation in India and find solutions to the challenges ahead in future.
» Union Minister Dr Mansukh Mandaviya emphasized on “Jan Bhagidari” or people’s movement to encourage people to come forward to donate their organs for humanity.
- Dr Mandaviya motivated everyone to work towards a national people driven movement on body-organ-eye donation.
Kerala University Laws (Amendment) Bill 2022
⇒ The Kerala Assembly on 01 September 2022 passed the University Laws (Amendment) Bill 2022, which would result in curtailing the powers of the Governor as Chancellor of state universities.
- The new Bill would restrict the authority of the Governor, who holds the position of Chancellor, in appointing Vice-Chancellors (VCs) of universities.
- The University Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2022 alters the composition of the search-cum-selection committee to appoint Vice Chancellors and effectively provide the State government greater leverage in the process.
- The Bill will enhance the appointment age of Vice Chancellors to 65 years and increase the strength of the selection committee to five (from the existing three).
- The move comes amidst claims that the inclusion of the KSHEC vice chairman, who could be perceived as linked to universities by way of his/her position, could be in violation of the University Grants Commission (UGC) regulations.
- The other members of the committee will include one nominee each of the State government, UGC, Chancellor and the university Senate. In the absence of a unanimous choice, the panel decided by a majority of members can be submitted to the Chancellor.
Golden Fly Series Liechtenstein 2022 Athletics Meet
⇒ India’s Jeswin Aldrin won the long jump event at the Golden Fly Series Liechtenstein 2022 athletics meet in Schaan with an 8.12m-jump on 12 September 2022. It was also the first time since April Jeswin Aldrin crossed the 8m mark.
» Jeswin Aldrin was followed by Czech Republic’s Radek Juska, who registered his best jump of 7.70m. Henrik Flatnes of Norway came third with 7.66m.
The Golden Fly Series athletics events are held in cities in an attempt to bring fans closer to the action. Only long jump and pole events are featured. The next stop in the series will be in Thailand in December.
Hyderabad Liberation Day 2022
⇒ Ministry of Culture organized the inaugural programme of the year-long commemoration of the Hyderabad Liberation Day, on 17th September 2022.
The Union Home and Cooperation Minister, Shri Amit Shah participated in the 75th Hyderabad Liberation Day celebrations in Telangana.
» The Government of India has approved the yearlong commemoration of the “Hyderabad Liberation Day” for the period 17th September, 2022 to 17th September,2023.
- The year-long commemoration is aimed at paying tribute to all those who gave their live for the liberation of Samsthan and its merger with the India Union.
- On 15th August, 1947 the whole country was celebrating Independence but Hyderabad did not get Independence. For 13 months, this region tolerated the injustices and atrocities of the Nizam and when Sardar Patel initiated police action, Telangana became Independent.
- On 17th September 1948, more than one year after India secured Independence from the British, the state of Hyderabad got its independence from Nizam’s rule.
- The liberation of Hyderabad was possible due to the swift and timely action by first Minister of Home Affairs of India, Shri Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel under Operation Polo.
- The state of Hyderabad under the Nizam included the whole of current day Telangana; the Marathwada region in Maharashtra that included the districts of Aurangabad, Beed, Hingoli, Jalna, Latur, Nanded, Osmanabad, Parbhani; and districts of Kalaburagi, Bellary Raichur, Yadgir, Koppal, Vijayanagara and Bidar in current day Karnataka.
» The state governments of Maharashtra and Karnataka officially observe September 17 as the Liberation Day.
Renowned historian and academician B Sheikh Ali
⇒ Renowned historian and academician B Sheikh Ali passed away on 01 September 2022 in Mysuru. He was 98.
- He was the founder vice-chancellor of Mangalore University and also served the Goa University as vice-chancellor. He is also the founder president of the Karnataka History Conference.
- Karnataka Rajyothsava awardee Professor B. Sheik Ali authored a total of 23 books in English and eight others in Urdu.
- Some of Ali’s works include “History: Its Theory and Method”, “History of the Western Ganges” (Comprehensive History of Karnataka, Volume 1, 1976), University of Mysore and “Goa Wins Freedom: Reflections and Reminiscences-1986, Goa University”.
- He was president of Indian History Congress, 47th Session, in 1986, and president of Indian History Section, XXVIII International Congress of Orientalists, Canberra, Australia, besides founder-president of Karnataka History Conference.
- He was the recipient of the prestigious Golden Jubilee Award of Mysore University for research in Humanities and Social Sciences, Rajyotsava award for Distinguished Educationist, Mythic Society of India Award for Distinguished Historian, and Maulana Jauhar Award in 2003.