The tenth edition of National science film festival 2020 was held in a virtual mode. The four-day long film festival was held from 24 November to 27 November, 2020. It was inaugurated by Deputy Chief Minister of Tripura Jishnu Dev Verma.
It was jointly organized by Vigyan Prasar, under the Department of Science and Technology, and the Tripura State Council of Science and Technology, Govt of Tripura.
In list of 372 participated films, a total of 115 shortlisted films has been selected by the ten member jury, & screened during the festival.
In this festival, Hindi, English, Urdu, Malayalam, Kashmiri, Bengali, Marathi, Punjabi and Tamil languages films are included. It included entries from documentaries, biography, short films, docu-dramas, science fiction and animation films.
The festival had entries (Films) invited under four major categories:
- Interface- Films funded by government and non-government institutions/organizations
- Fusion- Films category for independent film makers
- Out of the Box- Films by media institutions/film schools/universities/college students
- Rainbow- Films category exclusively for films made by school students
In this festival, 26 Awards has been presented including Beaver Awards & Technical Excellence Awards.
Under the Interface-Films category:
Golden Beaver Award: ‘Chalti Kaa Naam Ooshma’, directed by Seema Muralidhara and H.B. Muralidhara
Silver Beaver Award: ‘Bat Woman’ (The Night Warrior), directed by S Balamurugan
Bronze Beaver Award (jointly to two films):
- ‘Decoding Disaster’, directed by Arjun Bhagat and Radhika Chandrasekhar
- ‘Affordable and Point of Need Testing Diagnostic Systems For Healthcare’ directed by Devendra Chopra
Under the fusion category:
Golden Beaver Award: ‘Climate Challenge’ directed by Rakesh Rao
Silver Beaver Award: ‘Return of the Holy Grain’ directed by G.S. Unnikrishnan Nair
Bronze Beaver Award: ‘White Tiger Eternal Imprisonment Extinction or Freedom’, directed by Anil Yadav
Under the Out of the Box category:
Golden Beaver Award: ‘Croaking Frogs’, directed by Aditya
Silver Beaver Award: ‘Ener-G?’, directed by Prince Kumar
Bronze Beaver Award: Film ‘Solution’ directed by Ponnala Raghavender, Vineetha S.
Under Rainbow category: 8 winners are:
- ‘Aur Ping Pong Badal Gaya’ directed by Khushi Acharya and Dhimahi Acharya
- ‘Diffraction’, directed by Ananya Jain
- ‘Don’t Shy With Red Spots ’ by Hema Kumari
- ‘Jeevan Diya’ directed by Siddharth Dasgupta and Mansi Modi
- ‘No Tomorrow’ directed by Siddh Jain
- ‘Our Sun As A Red Giant’ directed by Zaid Darsot
- ‘Page (The Story Of Life’s Economy)’ directed by Sagar Kumar and Mayank Soni
- ‘SMOG- See Anyone’ directed by Amit Raj
Jury Special Mention award:
‘Incredible Tale of a Water Warrior’ directed by Mahesha
This year two new award Poonam Chaurasia Memorial Award & Destination Award has been introduced.
Poonam Chaurasia Memorial Award:
‘Sir Fred Hoyle; The Man Ahead of Time’ directed by Suchibrata Borah
This award given to one of the best films from the region where the National Science Film Festival is organized.