- To boost the “Make in India” initiative of Government of India in the Defence Sector, Acquisition Wing of Ministry of Defence has signed contracts with M/s Bharat Earth Movers Ltd, M/s Tata Power Company Ltd and M/s Larsen & Toubro. This is for supply of Six “Pinaka Regiments” to the Regiment of Artillery of the Indian Army at an approximate cost of Rs 2580 Crores. Induction of Six Pinaka Regiments is planned to be completed by 2024. The Pinaka Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) has been indigenously designed and developed by DRDO.
- The Govt of Japan has committed Official Development Assistance loan of an amount of JPY50 billion (approx. Rs. 3,500 crore) for the COVID-19 Crisis Emergency Response Support. This programme loan aims to support India’s efforts in fighting COVID-19 and to prepare the health system to manage future epidemics and also to improve the resilience of India’s health systems against infectious diseases.
- The Government of India announces with profound sorrow the death of Shri Pranab Mukherjee, former President of India. As a mark of respect to the departed dignitary, seven days State Mourning will be observed throughout India from 31 Aug 2020 to 06 Aug 2020 (both days are inclusive). During the period of State Mourning the National Flag will fly at half mast on all buildings throughout India, where it is flown regularly and there will be no official entertainment.
- On 31 Aug 2020, Shri Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and Road Transport & Highways inaugurated Technology Centre set up at Bhiwadi in Alwar District of Rajasthan via video conferencing. He informed we are making 15 new Technology Centres and upgrading 18 existing TCs, to create skilled manforces. “Skilled Manpower” is a must to make India a Manufacturing hub.
- Indian Railways has solarised more than 960 stations. Orders have been placed for 198 MW solar rooftop capacity for 550 stations which are under execution. Use of solar power will accelerate the Railways’ mission to achieve the goal of becoming “Net Zero Carbon Emission Railway“. Indian Railways has a mega plan for installing solar plants of 20 GW capacity by utilizing its vacant land by 2030. Some of the Stations solarised are: Varanasi, New Delhi, Old Delhi, Jaipur, Secunderabad, Kolkata, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Howrah etc.
- The Ministry of Tourism organised a webinar titled “Hampi – Inspired by the past; Going into the future” on 29th August 2020 under Dekho Apna Desh Webinar series.
- Air Force Sports Control Board was conferred with “Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar 2020“. This is for the outstanding contribution in helping sportsperson to excel in their respective disciplines and implement robust sports welfare measures. Air Marshal MSG Menon, Air Officer-In-Charge Administration and President, Air Force Sports Control Board received the award from Hon’ble President of India in an organised online ceremony at Vigyan Bhawan on 29 Aug 2020.
- CSIR-CMERI has developed the World’s Largest Solar Tree, which is installed at CSIR-CMERI Residential Colony, Durgapur. The installed capacity of the Solar Tree is above 11.5 kWp. It has the annual capacity to generate 12,000-14,000 units of Clean and Green Power”.
- Union Minister of Education Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank launched “EnglishPro”, a free mobile app on 31 Aug 2020, which is developed by the English and Foreign Languages University, (EFLU) Hyderabad. It aims at helping learners develop Indian English pronunciation in the unique “Bharatiya” way.
- India’s first female cardiologist, Dr S Padmavati, died on 29 August 2020 due to Covid-19. She was 103 years old. She was popularly known as “God Mother of Cardiology”.
Former President of India and Bharat Ratna Pranab Mukherjee died on 31 Aug 2020 at Army Research & Referral Hospital, New Delhi. He was 84. He was in a coma after brain surgery, before which he was found positive for Coronavirus.